MBP (2011) Constant lags in Yosemite 10.10.3 with SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pullasulla, May 26, 2015.

1. pullasulla macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Perhaps you can help.

I've been having severe issues with Yosemite (10.10.3), where the whole machine will freeze up, especially when typing or scrolling. Sometimes when typing, I will also get the beach ball of death. It will happen a few times a minute, and after a second or so, will go back to normal (and is happening right now as I write this post).

I am running a late 2011 Macbook Pro, with a brand new Samsung 850 Evo 240gb SSD, optibay and 500gb stock HDD in the Optical Slot.

My former SSD died, hence the new one, and upon restoring from time machine backup onto my new drive, I noticed this issue. I then did a fresh install of Yosemite (boot to recovery partition, wipe main partition, reinstall), and to my despair, this issue has remained!

I have done a lot of looking around, and can rule out any TRIM related issues. My CPU isn't sitting very high, and it's not the well known windowserver issue as well. The really strange thing is, running Yosemite 10.10.3 my 2 year old SSD which suddenly died didn't experience this issue at all. So this has got me completely bewildered.

I am thinking it could be the following:
    - Broken/Failing SATA Cable. I read a couple posts about this being an issue in my model of macbook, but it seems unlikely that a broken SATA cable would be so intermittent
    - I should've wiped the entire SSD, and not just the OS X Partition when reinstalling. Perhaps there was something wrong with the original restore from Time Machine, and I need to boot from USB, wipe entire SSD, and reinstall from there.

Is there any other advice/experience people might be able to share?

Thanks

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Wipe the entire SSD first. If the issue persists, it could be the SATA cable.

And if it's a 15", locking up and freezes could be signs of Radeongate.

3. pullasulla thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem fixed! (Kinda)

Thanks for the advice.

I ended up swapping my SSD to the optibay slot, and everything is running fine. So it looks like a hardware issue. I'm hoping that this is the cable and not the logic board (I've had issues with this logic board in the past)

Any tips on isolating this issue? I'd like to avoid any extraneous expense of going to Apple with it, or buying a new cable if the logic board is stuffed.

Cheers