MBP 2011 dies after fresh install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by out2dasea, Feb 6, 2015.

1. out2dasea macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I have a 2011 MBP, only mod is 8gb rama and a hybrid HD.

It kept getting slower and slower and needing reboots, so I decided to do a fresh install. I made a bootable USB to install OSX Yosemite on a reformatted harddrive. Everything went smoothly until about 6-8 hrs post install when I am installing new software and transfering all my data.

The computer seems to get slower and slower to the point it doesnt work at all even after a reboot. It would very slowly turn on then when It is finally booted I cant do anything. When I boot up with the fash drive and go to disk utility it showed that I used all the space except for about 15mb. The HD is 720gb and I did not put more than 250gb onto the drive.

I reinstalled everything again twice and the same thing happened again...

None of the software is new and stuff that wasnt on the computer in the past. Is it possible my HD is dying? Any other ideas?

thanks

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It could be that.

At this stage, I'd attempt a reformat and a clean install, and if that doesn't fix it, buy a new hard drive, preferably an SSD.

3. out2dasea thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the fresh install 3 times and all failed within a day.

Last night after a fresh install with everything loaded and transferred, computer was working perfectly, this morning it wouldnt do anything.

I picked up a 512SSD to install tomorrow but want to make sure I am targeting the right problem.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If the same thing happens to the SSD, it means that your SATA cable is dead.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Verify that the drive is good. If it is, the hard drive cable may be failing.

6. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Use SMARTUtility to see if the drive is failing.

7. out2dasea thread starter macrumors newbie

I ended up getting a new SSD and computer is working better than ever now. Guess ill send in other drive for warranty replacement and turn it into an external.