MBP 2011 hard drive noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigpoppamac31, Sep 3, 2011.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

I have a 2011 MBP 15" and I put in a 500GB 7200rpm HD. The hard drive is audible when in use. Drive runs fine and there is no issues. But I had a Macbook (late 2006) with a 320GB 7200rpm HD and when in use I still could not hear it. Is this because of the difference in case (polycarbonate vs aluminum) or is it something else? I also have an external HD (laptop size drive) and it's a 500GB 7200rpm as well. When it runs I also hear it. But the external is only used from time to time for backups. Is there any way to make the drive quieter? The original 5400rpm was silent.

Internal drive is Western Digital Scorpio Black and external is Seagate.

2. randomrazr macrumors 65816

did u not bother to look this up?

its HD, course its gonna make some noise. its a 5400rpm spinning disk!

3. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for insulting me! Yes I know it's a spinning disk and therefore will make noise. ... Anyway I was just curious cause I didn't hear the HD when in use on my old Macbook but I do hear it on my new 2011 MBP. It is cause of the difference in case design/material maybe?

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Some models are quieter than others, you don't always get the same brand HD from Apple.The scorpio black is known to be rather noisy.

Even within the same brand and same model, some hard drives are noisier than others.

There are no ways of making the hard drive quieter, you simply got a noisier one. Either you live with it or you swap it until you find one to your liking, there's nothing else to it.

5. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Okay. Thanks. I was just curious that's all. The noise is not annoying per-se. Just audible on the new MBP as opposed to my old black Macbook.