Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pm9500

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2016
Hi

I just ran into a problem with my MBP 2011 and using a HDD via Data Doubler in the Optical Bay. I tried to format the drive and it always fails. Removing the drive and connecting it via USB works just fine. So the HDD itself is ok. Also, when I format the drive using USB, then put it back into the optical bay, I can use it, so I don't believe that the SATA cable is broken.

I did a bit of research and the most suggestions are around a broken HDD or cable but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Any other suggestions or can somebody confirm that this is just a limitation of MacOS and the optical SATA port? (I'm using the latest OSX with all available updates installed)

See error screenshot

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• error.png
    error.png
    894.1 KB · Views: 91

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
My late 2011 15" MBP - as with most same MBPs - do not work with SATA III drives in optical bay. Only SATA II.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I remember reading that all data doublers are NOT the same, and might be not-quite-compatible with the firmware on some drives.
Likely a simpler idea to try a different data doubler - but, the optical bay may just the issue, as suggested, and won't down clock an SATA III drive.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
My late 2011 15" MBP - as with most same MBPs - do not work with SATA III drives in optical bay. Only SATA II.
- I'm one of the lucky ones with a functional 2011. :)

I remember reading that all data doublers are NOT the same, and might be not-quite-compatible with the firmware on some drives.
- I haven't heard that. I'd be interested if you have some more information.
Remember that the Data Doubler is an OWC product, not a general name for an optical bay SATA adaptor, which may be what you mean?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I agree with you, but I also sometimes see other reference to data doubler as a generic optical bay SATA adaptor, and that is what I was referring, and not to the OWC product, per se.
And, I don't have more information, and don't remember exactly where I might have read that - I follow lots of forums and other tech news sites. The idea ua that several companies sell those adaptors, and possibly not all are made with the same attention to detail that OWC usually has. You can go cheaper through eBay, etc, and can find generic asian-source parts, and you sometimes take your chances with those.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I agree with you, but I also sometimes see other reference to data doubler as a generic optical bay SATA adaptor, and that is what I was referring, and not to the OWC product, per se.
And, I don't have more information, and don't remember exactly where I might have read that - I follow lots of forums and other tech news sites. The idea ua that several companies sell those adaptors, and possibly not all are made with the same attention to detail that OWC usually has. You can go cheaper through eBay, etc, and can find generic asian-source parts, and you sometimes take your chances with those.
- Yes, it's pretty obvious that there will be inconsistencies in performance and compatibility across multiple manufacturers of such an adaptor. I was interested if you had heard of differences within the OWC Data Doubler. I guess no fun information for me this time around. :)

Definitely agreed that the cheap sort are hit and miss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.