MBP 2011 - HEAT Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by redsaint182, Mar 20, 2011.

1. redsaint182 macrumors newbie

New to Mac - Ordered a 2011 13"MBP with a 128GB SSD in it. Should arrive this week.

1. Is it likely that a software update will fix the higher-than-normal temps most people are reporting? Or is this not possible, and is the heat thing strictly a hardware issue?

2. Can I make the CPU less powerful, generating less heat?

Hopefully the heat isn't a problem. If it is, and if a software update can't possibly fix it, I might have to return it and find a 2010 C2D MBP instead. Anyways, thanks for reading. Take Care! :)

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

The heat issue is not really an issue ... people are over-reacting ... enjoy your MBP :cool:

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Ditto

If heat was an issue mbp would be shutting down. It's just people who "think" the temps are too high.

4. josh2007 macrumors member

My 13" i7 runs cooler than my old 15" 2008 2.53

5. GuitarDTO macrumors 6502a

Most people aren't reporting higher than normal temperatures. Some, yes, but you are talking about a few people on an internet forum and generalizing it that everyone has problems. Buy it and enjoy it! Unless it's freezing or shutting down, don't worry about it.

6. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

My 2011 15" MBP runs cooler than my 2007 MacBook.

Of course it gets pretty damn hot if I fire up all cores or do some intense gaming, but anyone who doesn't expect that is an idiot.

7. Manacit macrumors member

Manacit

1 there is no hotter then normal temps being experienced, all laptops with this much power get warm. Don't worry about it!

2 the CPU automatically underclocks when possible to ensure it uses the least amount of power possible.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Right on.

9. miabadboys macrumors member

miabadboys

True the heat is not an issue but the fan noise is louder than i expected. When i am working the processor, the fan comes on and it sounds like a turbine jet firing up. The C2D MBP i have doesnt do this but it not as fasr either.

10. redsaint182 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's here!

Macbook Pro arrived. I've been using it for about an hour, figuring things out and such. I downloaded istat nano to check the temps, and they seem to be fine so far :)

I haven't done anything very CPU intensive. But I opened itunes, scrivener, mail, safari (with a few tabs open, one with a HD Youtube video playing,) a couple of the other random basic apps, and the istat thing said the CPU was at about 50 C. The over-all temp seemed to be about 30 C, it was only the CPU that was 50 (istat nano gives a few different temps.) Note this was using it in the bed snuggled in the covers (laptops generally build up more heat that way, at least in my experience.)

So yeah, heat doesn't really seem to be an issue - at least not for anything I am doing with it. (I haven't tried any games, photoshop, or anything like that yet.)