MBP 2011 Install osx via cable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mediahuset, Jul 4, 2014.

1. mediahuset macrumors newbie

Hey,

Just bought a new ssd for my early 2011 Macbook Pro and have everything in place where it should be. My problem now is that i can reach the recovery to install mac osx but unfortunately i do not have any wireless internet, only connection via ethernet cable.. is it somehow possible to install with cable or am i screwed until i find a wifi to install from?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It will work just fine over a wired Ethernet connection.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

It needs the internet. If you get the internet via USB modem, wi-fi, ethernet, USB to ethernet dongle, tin foil hat or whatever else you may have, it'll still work.

4. mediahuset thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, appreciated!

Not sure what im missing then as i've tried plugging in the cable and when i start up the recovery i only get the option to select a wifi-network.. or is there another way into the recovery when using?

Edit: I get my internet from a modem then just a normal ethernet cable straight into the ethernet port of the mbp which works fine on the old disk so should not be a problem with the modem at least.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do the command option r boot with the Ethernet cable connected to the modem. Then unplug the modem power and plug it back in. That should allow the modem to recognize the Mac and get you going.

6. mediahuset thread starter macrumors newbie

Works perfect with your trick Weaselboy!

Really appreciate your help, thank you very much! :)