MBP 2011 or wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by v1nny, Sep 26, 2011.

  1. v1nny macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2011
    #1
    As I've heard that Apple is redesigning the MBP line, I was curious to see what you guys think about buying a MBP now (as of sept. 2011) or wait for a few months for the new one to come out.

    The only thing that make me consider buying MBP now is for college. I hate to carry around my big ole 17" DELL laptop to classes.

    Secondly, I've found some good deal on MBP 15 for around $1400, which is $400 cheaper than what it would cost in apple stores. The new model won't be that low at launch. So it's like a trade off, older design for better price
    Lemme know what cha think!
     
  2. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

    MacinDoc

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Location:
    The Great White North
    #2
    Sounds like a good deal, I would go for it now, plus you have the use of the machine now, not at some as yet to be determined date.
     
  3. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2011
    #3
    A new 15" MBP for $1400 is a good deal. I'd go for it. If a redesigned MBP is available next year you can sell your 2011 MBP and upgrade.
     
  4. Rasan macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2011
    #4
    But keep in mind that 15" is still not that tiny. For college i got myself a 13" (MBA) but thats just me. If you don't need the bigger screen size and more power, consider a 13" mba or mbp. 1400 for the 15" sounds like a good deal though.
     
  5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

    Macman45

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2011
    Location:
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    #5
    That Is Tempting

    Id think a out it, but just bought an Air.....so at the moment, don't feel the need for a new Pro.
     
  6. calvol macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    #6
    I would get a dirt cheap refurb MBP-13 now, and wait for the redesign, then resell it.
     
  7. v1nny thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2011
    #7
    thanks guys for all your comments.

    I know 15" is not as mobile as the 13" MBP but I do some graphic design and music recording as well so I thought that I'd be better off with the dual graphics and a little bigger screen.

    Well to bad the guy on ebay sold his MBP so.... um . I'd consider a refub
     
  8. kulimer macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2011
    #8
    Did you get 128GB or 256GB?
     
  9. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    Location:
    Oxford, England
    #9
  10. Rasan macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2011
    #10
    I got the 13" base model, i think its the best value for the price. 128gb is easily enough for my applications and documents, and i store media and other stuff on an external drive an my iMac.

    As the OP I'm doing graphics design and recording as well, so i can understand why you want a bigger screen. I just feel that 2 inches of space don't justify the cost of mobility. I'd rather have an ultraportable with a big screen at home for my work. 15 inch is still a compromise for me, although it obviously is enough for many people.
     
  11. will waters macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2011
    Location:
    Great Britain
    #11
    Wait

    I suggest wiring for the New MBP next year, that is what i am doing however i wish i could find a 15 inch for £900 ($1400)
     
  12. phillytim, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011

    phillytim macrumors 6502a

    phillytim

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2011
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    #12
    I think I would be going nuts right now, had I belabored this point about a late-2011 "silent update" MBPro and not bought mine in early August.

    I would have not had all the enjoyment of my MBPro that I've had, and not moved on with other things in my life.

    I worried about having the latest and greatest, but then I started thinking that the "silent update" wouldn't be worth much, since it appears only to be a slight speed bump in CPU. A more worthwhile update will be next summer, when the MBPros with the new Intel Ivy Bridge chips come with USB 3.0. Now that's worth waiting for--not a small .xx bump in processor speed.

    If Intel had a hot new chip like Ivy Bridge coming out within a couple months, yeah, I'd wait and get the MBPro then. But IF Apple silent updates the MBPro now (which we don't even know IF Apple will do at all, and have no reason to believe they would!), the difference would be minimal (and there will be NO USB 3.0 ports this year) and not worth belaboring about it for months putting my life on hold obsessing about it. That's just plain ridiculous.

    Realistically, best case for any late-2011 MBP upgrade will be a CPU speed bump -- something 98% of people will not even notice. That's it. Finito. We have no solid conjecture that Apple will even release a silent update of the MBP this fall, none whatsoever. Energy-draining obsession.

    There will be no monumental change that is worth obsessing about until at least the middle of 2012, when MBPros with Ivy Bridge & USB3 ports come out.

    Heck, I'd say that Haswell, in 2013, will be far more exciting than Ivy Bridge is gonna be--Haswell will have a 20x reduction in power usage, all day battery and 10 day standby time.

    Plus, Haswell will have the kinks knocked out of it that Ivy Bridge WILL come with, as IB is a major architecture change with tri-gate transistors. Haswell is the one to keep an eye on, for sure.

    Get the MBPro now if you want it and enjoy it. You are waiting on something that's probably not even gonna be noticeable. Move on with your life, for cryin' out loud!
     
  13. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    Location:
    Oxford, England
    #13
    LOL! I can see where you're coming from! I'm in a slightly different situation, I have an early 2008 15" 'MBP, which works absolutely fine, still seems reasonably fast and I have no problems with it, but I was going to give this to my wife when her (Windows) laptop finally dies (which is looking more and more likely every day, the screen scrambles itself randomly every few days, one of the screen LED backlights is dead, some keys are missing, the battery holds no charge and part of the case is held together with Duck Tape!), and then was going to treat myself to a new MBP i.e. I can wait until her laptop dies, but not longer! I suspect it'll die before the end of the year, though.

    [NB: she does save everything to an external disk, so shouldn't lose any data when it does finally die)
     

Share This Page