MBP 2011 Replacement battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bassdudeguy157, Jan 16, 2016.

1. bassdudeguy157 macrumors newbie

Greetings.

Like many I'm having issues with my 2011 macbook. The battery had started to expand after losing all harge and bassically, a replacement is needed. The only issue being there is a plethora of online options and reviews are always conflicted. I'm lookin for whatever would be closest to an actual apple replacement, without breaking the bank obviously. Last concern, I'm in Canada so I would like to avoid any excessive border/customs fees that may occur.

Thanks for the help!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Buy one straight from Apple, third party batteries are notoriously poorly made and are a fire hazard (so is your current battery, by the way). I'm not sure if glued-in batteries started with 2011 or 2012, but if yours is glued in, the battery service includes a whole topcase in the bargain.

You bought a premium computer, buy it the correct components. You wouldn't put a Hyundai engine in a Mercredes.

3. bassdudeguy157 thread starter macrumors newbie

The battery is not glued and has already been removed for obvious reasons.
    I intend to buy it the correct components. but as far as my searches have turned up, apple doesn't outright sell replacement batteries, leaving me with this option, a third party dealer, which sells genuine parts. However, aside from the American "Ifixit", easily reputable sources seem to be lacking.
    So, any help regarding this would still be appreciated.

4. robvas macrumors 68020

OWC sells batteries from NewerTech NuPower Battery

they are good and are only $99 US

5. Yaccity macrumors member

Yaccity

I also bought a battery from OWC and it works great.

6. bassdudeguy157 thread starter macrumors newbie