MBP 2011 Short High Pitch HardDrive Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Afrox, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Afrox macrumors newbie

Hi. I bought a new 15" 2.0 GHz mbp 3 weeks ago. I noticed that sometimes, (like 5 times since a got it) it makes a short noise like if the hard drive is reading or processing something, but the laptop is not in use. Someone noticed this? is this normal?

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Does not in use mean idle or standby in your language.
    A power supply can make high pitched really annoying noises when the notebooks is sleeping. A harddrive does if it has truly bad error. I once touched a 3,5" running hdd on the wrong place and it made a weird sound until I turned the PC on/off than it was back to normal. The PC was frozen.

If it is idle and it is only you who isn't doing anything than yes that is perfectly normal that the hdd does things. Even without your doing the mail program downloads mails at certain intervals. Different logs are written. All kinds of things happen in the background with you having to do anything.

3. Afrox thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it's standby in my language. For example I let it charge for a couple of minutes and then this high-pitch noise sound. This is my first Apple laptop, used to had a HP and it never did any random noise like this one does. If it's normal I'll let it be... has someone notice this on your laptop?

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

When it makes that noise, were you moving the MBP or was it perfectly still?

5. Afrox thread starter macrumors newbie

Was perfectly still. It's a random noise, not too long, and in the right side of the mbp (I don't know where's the hdd inside the unibody). Doesn't happens all the time but it's pretty noisy when it come.