MBP 2011 Slow to Wake Up & Connect

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by twfmike, Jun 28, 2011.

1. twfmike macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have jus bought a MBP 13" 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 and 4MB memory and transferred all my software and files from my 3 year old macBook. I was expecting things to speed up, but it seems like the new machine takes longer to wake up from sleep, and in particular takes longer to reconnect with my home and work wireless networks, so I can't connect to the web or pick up e-mail for a while after starting. I also see more of the spinning wheel of doom than I used to.

I wonder if this is anything to do with having imported all my old settings... maybe some are inappropriate for the new machine?

I'm not particularly up on Apple technicalities, so any help would be very welcome.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Do you have any external USB devices connected? Buggy/flaky USB devices can bog a Mac down. A bad hard drive can obviously slow the machine down.

3. twfmike thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion, but no - nothing connected.

4. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    open terminal (found in your utilities folder)

type (or copy/paste. note the spaces if you're typing)
    sudo chown root:admin /

enter password

next
    sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

when finished (not long)
    then
    sudo kextcache -system-caches

when finished (a bit longer)

restart.

should be an improvement.

5. twfmike thread starter macrumors newbie

That is weird mumbo jumbo, like travelling back to the age of DOS. Seems to have helped though, so thanks! :) Mind telling me what I just did??

6. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    basically you cleared all the caches in your system folder without disrupting anything and then relinked all the essential system files so they can find each other real quick - hence eliminating the spinning wheel.

(now someone is bound to howl me down for 'making it up as I go along' - but in layman's language that's how I explain it)

it worked for you - dat's the main thing :D