MBP 2011 - Suddenly Dieing on Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OskarHey, Jul 9, 2015.

1. OskarHey macrumors newbie

Hey guys just seeking some guidance here regarding my Early 2011 15' MBP - i7 2.2 CPU, AMD 6750M GPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 750GB HDD.

So i've have this Macbook about 2 months now, brought second hand, all was well for the first month, the battery was constantly on a 'service now' notification and i was living it out until one day its just died on me, wouldn't turn on and only worked with the MagSafe connected, so i diagnosed this as a dead battery so i went and brought a new genuine apple battery and installed it myself.

Anyways about 50 minutes into installed the new battery the computer randomly shut itself off on battery life.. it wouldn't come back on till about a minute after till i could power it up WITHOUT the MagSafe.. i researched and calibrated the battery hoping to resolve my issues.

Anyways through about a day of use after i noticed it would still die at random moments.. and i found my CPU was getting really hot also, so i checked Activity Monitor regularly and found that an process called 'RSPCVNHOST' or something was using 100% CPU and using SMCFanControl i found my CPU would get about 60-70Degrees Celsius then die on battery life.. if i had the magsafe in it wouldn't die.

Anyways the temperature would come down to about 45-50 degrees once i ended the process until it'd come up again.. sometimes on a cold startup the CPU would heat up on the process and die about 2 minutes into it so i would have to plug in my MagSafe and then cancel the process to be able to cool it down and control my fan speeds.. anyways i got sick of this so i reformatted my whole Mac, from Lion 10.7 then upgraded to the new Yosemite 10.10.4.

Anyways after installing all seemed well. it find that the NEW battery with about 2 cycle counts had now a 'Service Now' symbol.. so i sent away the battery and got a replacement..

Whilst waiting for the new one to arrive i thought il'd go ahead and do some DIY and took the whole computer apart, blew out all the dust, cleaned all the fans, took of all the old thermal paste and cleaned the CPU,GPU,Heatskin etc, buffed it out and applied new quality Thermal Paste.. put it all back together, got the battery fire it up, works fine.. so far.

I charge the battery up to 100%.. its working fine. about 89% in.. it dies again without warning.. so i get prepared, plug in my MagSafe, start up computer and check activity monitor.. to find that no process is actually using 100% CPU like before.. it just died randomly.. Now my computer idles about 65-70Degrees Celsius at 2000RPM whilst browsing the net ( At this moment i have Facebook and this forum open and its 64Degrees at 1997RPM )

I'm not even going to bother to take the MagSafe out because its only seconds before it'll die.

Was hoping someone could maybe help me out or share some guidance? I have tried reseting the PRAM, SMC or whatever.

Plz halp gois :(

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If it dies randomly, does the screen just black out on its own? Are there any graphical artifacts? Was the dGPU active?

This model is notorious for Radeongate.

3. OskarHey thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep it just turns off completely, screen goes black, hear fans stop spinning and HDD turn off. just completely flatlines and can't even check the battery life with the button gauge on the side or the white light doesn't flash.. just completely bricked and dead until about 1 minute after then it'll start up.. UNLESS i plugin MagSafe, it'll turn on right away.

For graphical artefacts.. i'm not sure, I'm using the suggested battery option now where the computer will change the graphics processor depending on power source. GPU is generally active when this happens

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

In addition to radeongate (a very likely reason), did you purchase your "genuine" apple battery from Apple - or, from some random eBay site offering "genuine" replacements for less cost? A "bargain" battery is very often not a bargain.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

This is seconded, very few of the genuine apple batteries are genuine and they are almost universally rubbish when they aren't. iFixit does them but it's similar in price to getting apple to change it for you...

6. OskarHey thread starter macrumors newbie

Battery seems to be fine and doesn't cut out.

Last night the battery held up to 34% from 100% and stayed about 30 degrees the whole time.. which is really good.

But then upon turning on this morning. The process 'rspcvnhost' and 'digest-service' are back up and eating up my CPU and causing it to cook and turn off at about 60Degrees on battery

7. OskarHey thread starter macrumors newbie

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's more likely that it's radeongate.