Mbp 2011 thunderbolt display wacom tablets

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobbykasthuri, Dec 4, 2011.

1. bobbykasthuri macrumors newbie

Hey mr people
    Was wondering whether there is any way of using mbp 15" 2011 +thunderbolt display + wacom screen tablet (the kind that serves as a second monitor to draw directly on...). So I would like 3 screens (mbp screen, thunderbolt display, and a wacom screen I can directly draw on...). Thanks in advance for any advice

Best
    Me

EDIT I meant this wacom unit Cintiq 12WX Pen Display

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

If you mean the Wacom 24" Cintiq tablets, they use DVI, VGA and DP as video input, thus either get a MDP to DVI adapter, or a MDP to DisplayPort (DP) cable, which costs less than 10 €.

The 12" and 21" Cintic tablets use USB as interface, thus you can use it too.

3. bobbykasthuri thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks...
    Are you saying
    Mbp -> tb -> tb display -> mdp -> mdp to dvi adapter -> dvi -> wacom cintiq should do it?

Best

4. simsaladimbamba

No, as the 12" Cintiq only uses a USB interface, which you can see on the official Cintiq site and the technical specifications posted there, you can only use it via USB, thus no adapter is required. Which USB port you use is up to you.

5. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Per AnandTech's review of the Thunderbolt Display, it cannot have a non-Thunderbolt display directly connect to it as no video will be outputted in this scenario. Unfortunately, you need an intermediary Thunderbolt device like a Promise Pegasus.

6. bobbykasthuri thread starter macrumors newbie

So this means I run the tb display from mbp via tb and then drive the wacom cintiq from a USB from the mbp as well? Sorry for the noobish qstns...appreciate all you help

Best

7. simsaladimbamba

You can use a USB port on the MBP or a USB port on the TBD, it is up to you.

8. bobbykasthuri thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to e a pain but I checked the wacom and apple website and it looks like you need both the USB connection and a DVI/VGA connection for that tablet. So I'm still confused about what the set-up would like....? excuse my ignorance if this is obvious

best

9. Heavertron macrumors regular

This