MBP 2011 vs. 2012 - Heat / Fannoise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ben8472, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Ben8472 macrumors member

Hello Everyone

sorry to open up a new topic for this, but since everyone jumped at the rmbp these days there seems to be a grand question (at least for me) unanswered.

The retina MBP and the new mbairs got those new asym. fans

Does anybody know for certain if

a) the new 15" 2012 MBP line got those new fans?
    b) under load, does the 15" 2012 non-retina MBP stay quieter / cooler?

from my experience the 2011 sandybridge/amd models suffered from heavy heating and fannoise as soon as you did more than reading mail or surfing the web. Opening a 1080p youtube video allready set the fan off on the 2,0 i7 15" early 2011.

Opening any game soon got the fans to 5-6k rpm

Can give a real comparison between the 15" non retina '11 and the '12 model please?

2. Rectified^ macrumors newbie

I've been wondering the same thing. Nobody responded to my inquiry and Google search has only turned up Retina MBP.

In fact it seems like everyone magically forgot about the cMBP. I just ordered the 15" 2.6 GHz high-res antiglare. I need to be able to expand storage and RAM in the future as it will hopefully last me through electrical engineering grad school. Need to be able to dual boot OS X/Windows and have a Windows VM and a Linux VM, so plenty of storage needed. Feel a little sad I can't get the ultra-cool Retina display that I love on my iPad, but antiglare seems more practical and the computing power will be awesome. I figure I will be using external displays most of the time anyway.

3. daneoni, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I don't think the old 'Classic' Pros got the new fans. Outside of the RMBP only the Air got it too.

4. Panini macrumors regular

The new non-retina MBP did not get the new fans.

Basically, the new non-retina models are the exact same as their old counterparts except for an upgraded processor and graphics card. Nothing else has changed.

Of course, the new processor may help quiet down the fans since it will perform more efficiently (and the integrated GPU is more powerful so the discrete may not kick in as often).

If you want any of the new design features (including the size/weight reduction) you will need to go for the retina macbook pro.

5. Rectified^ macrumors newbie

Has that been confirmed? The Macbook Air didn't get redesigned and it has the upgraded fan.

6. 50thVert macrumors regular

At the Apple Store I cranked up a 15" MBP and a 15" rMBP to 100% CPU by using the yes >/dev/null command across 18 terminal sessions and let them get hot for about 5min. Both are noticeably cooler to the touch than my 2011 15" MBP is, on top and bottom.

Interestingly enough the rMBP feels cooler on the bottom and hotter on the top than the MBP, at least to my subjective touch tests. Seems like that new cooling induction system works despite the smaller real estate. I'd love to see someone confirm with hard evidence from a IR camera!

7. strausd macrumors 68030

I think the older design is not any different.

As far as noise and cooling, my guess is that the RMBP is going to be cooler because of the vents on the side that, coupled with the fans inside, will create passive intake of cool air into the system.

8. Kceb83 macrumors member

After playing a bunch of diablo 3 on my rmpb tonight I can confidently say it does a great job staying cool with the fans. My 2011 MacBook air was much hotter under heavy loads. The new fans on the rmbp seem to do an excellent job!

9. Ben8472 thread starter macrumors member

isn't there anyone with NOT-RETINA mbp 2012 15" who can maybe post a video on youtube when the machine is doing regular stuff and at 100% full throttle, how the fans sound etc. please? :) (next shop is fairly far away from me to test it out myself)

10. MacBookProzak macrumors regular

I am actually too busy doing work with my 2012 non-retina MBP to put together a You Tube video of something like this. Check out this thread as a document my experience with this machine. My experience is with running the hell out of it, and last night I let it process a bunch of videos through Compressor 4 and fan noise and excessive heat was not an issue and ran cooler and quieter than the 2011 MBP with similar specs.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1386040