MBP 2011 WiFi signal drop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigpoppamac31, Oct 18, 2011.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

I have Lion 10.7.2 on a 2011 MBP and it randomly drops my wifi signal. If I quit Safari and try to reopen it just hangs with the icon bouncing in the dock. The only way to get my signal back is to restart my MBP. Anyone else have this issue?

2. crimton macrumors member

I had similar problems for a while. I ended up getting a new router and it solved my problems. It sounds like I had the same problem though, open the browser and it would just sit there like it was loading forever but never would.

3. artnotwar macrumors member

Yes i've also been having problems with my wifi on my early 2011 MBP. It's really strange. I ALWAYS have at least 3 out of the 4 bars full in the wifi indicator thingy, so it doesn't seem like it could be that I'm too far away from the modem.

It will drop out randomly for me, sometimes after 30 seconds, sometimes after 3 minutes, sometimes, it might be fine all day.

Sometimes when i close safari, and then open it again it seems to fix it. If not then i go to network prefs and then go to assist me, and then run diagnostics. This seems to fix it most of the time. Sometimes it takes a few goes, sometimes it takes more than a few goes and sometimes it wants my password?? even though i click 'save in keychain' every time?? I don't understand that.

Sometimes when i try to connect it says: Cannot connect to 'network' - A system timeout occurred. Or something along those lines. Sometimes in diagnostics it says "This computer was unable to connect to the wifi network you have selected. You may have entered an incorrect password or network name, chosen the wrong type of wireless security, or you may be out of range of the base station. To change your previous choices click go back"

This is really bugging me, especially because 97% of the time when my connection isn't working, the wifi icon thing at the top of the screen shows that it is connected and has at least 3 bars. The other 3% of the time when the connection stops working AND the icon up the top shows it is not connected to any network, i click on the icon to reveal the drop down with all the networks it can see, and viola! there's my network with three bars but for some reason it isn't connecting automatically.

I'd love if someone has a solution to this problem because I'm pulling my hair out over this.

----------

Yeah i'm getting the exact same thing. What did you upgrade your modem to out of interest?

4. crimton macrumors member

5. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Is anyone else still having this issue. I'm having it now on my early 2011 MBP (I'm tethered through my iPhone right now). Wi-Fi shows full bars and i can see my router but nothing loads. The Safari icon just bounces in the dock forever. Should i take my computer into the Apple Store?

6. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

7. crimton macrumors member

I'm not because as I posted above I got a new router and it fixed the problem. From the searching I did on the internet this has been a common problem people have been having for a while now and I did not find one definite solution. So I tried my luck with the router and I haven't dropped wifi once in about a month opposed to the month before that where I could barely even use the computer due to it not loading web pages. take it for what it's worth....

8. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well that's all fine and good but It's not my router to replace. It's a router provided by Rogers (Canada) and it's not under my name. Secondly no one else in the house using either Mac or Windows PC is having issue. It's only me so it can't be the router. Something else is wrong here. I thought all these years that Macs "just worked".

9. crimton macrumors member

The router I replaced wasn't mine either, it was my ISP's. I simply bought my own and returned theirs. I guess you might not be able to do that. My house has 2 Windows 7 Laptops, an Android phone, an ipod touch, a cr-48 chromebook, a wireless printer, and a nook color. They ALL connected fine to my network except my Macbookpro. It seems to be something to do with os x. In my case I wanted a router anyways so I could stop renting one from my ISP. So the router was not my problem but the MBP, the new router just lets everything work in harmony :D

10. jdsingle macrumors regular

I was having the same issue..and it turned out to be our router. I thought it was the modem at first so I had our ISP come out and take a look, he tested everything and said it was the router. I think I owned the router for like 4 months, went and bought an Airport Extreme. That's the last Linksys I ever own. I swear, the WRT54G was amazing, what did they change to screw up all the new stuff?

11. mark28 macrumors 68000

Try Snow Leopard. I had the same issue with Lion with my WIFI randomly dropping. Now I'm running Snow Leopard and all problems are gone.