MBP 2011 Wireless Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by royalgfx1, May 15, 2011.

1. royalgfx1 macrumors member

Hello!

I own both an old 2007 MacBook and a brand new 2011 MBP and use them both daily for work. I want to move all my work to my NEW macbook pro, but I cant because it suffers from pathetic speeds.

I began to notice an issue after receiving my MBP, in that its wireless strength (and thus speed) was always significantly slower than that of the 2007 MacBook.

Annoyed with the issue, I went out and bought a new router/modem, being a DLink DSL-2740B (which is N+) and the problem still hasn't resolved.

Regardless of it's place, the old MacBook will ALWAYS get better strength and speed. The old MacBook is running an older OS, an older version of Chrome, and still received better wireless! The network preferences in the system settings are identical and I cannot find one reason as to why the old macbook is faster!

If I place both laptops side by side next to each other in a room 5 meters away from the router, the MacBook will get FULL (5/5) wireless strength and has zippy speeds, where as the MBP sitting right next to it will have mediocre strength (2/5) and barely loads websites at times.

Sometimes the MBP won't even be able to connect with the network settings saying that the connection has timed out! How is this even possible?!

Router: Dlink DSL-2740B
    ISP: Dodo Australia

No ports are open, so it's not a case of one computer having more access to the router than the other.

If you guys can help me out, i will be forever in your debt as this is making me rip my hair out.

2. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

May not really be what you want to do but I would reinstall Mac. That is providing you are on the latest version? Did you update your KNOW with the new update it was meant to address issues similiar to this.

3. royalgfx1 thread starter macrumors member

Yep, updated with the new update, and it's still getting a dismal 2 bars and loads websites when it pretty much feels like it.

4. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I am having somewhat similar issues. Since receiving my 2011 MacBook Pro I am now having intermittent dsl connection problems. I never had any problems with my 2007 MacBook Pro, but now I will have a good connection, and then watch as the modem lights turn red for a few seconds, and then correct itself. It does this randomly on it's own throughout use. While it seems like it could be my connection or modem, I only started having this problem after the new MacBook Pro was purchased and in use. I don't seem to lose signal strength as I always show 4 bars, but losing my dsl connection all together periodically when before I never experienced this problem makes me wonder. I'm just wondering if this is a coincidence, or if there is any relevance to the new MacBook Pros.

5. royalgfx1 thread starter macrumors member

6. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

I'm experiencing the same thing. If I leave my 2011 MBP for a while, when I try to do anything online, the airport icon shows full strength and is connected to my network, but alas, pages don't load until I turn the airport off and back on.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

i have a different problem. my wireless works fine and stays connected through the day. but, sometimes when i turn it on, it doesn't automatically connect. and, sometimes it sees the network but cannot connect. turning the wireless off and on usually solves the problem but, i don't think this is how it ought to be working.

perhaps this is related?

of course, this is a step up from my netbook, which would lose the ability to even recognize that it had a wireless antenna installed for hours or days at a time. my macbook is a step up from that. but, it's not as good as my ipod and ipad, which never have trouble.

8. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I never really gave this much thought, but I usually use my 2011 MBP on the same desk, which is just in the room next to the router (Linksys WRT54G w/ DD-WRT). If I check the connection strength by looking at the "bars", it will fluctuate between full 4 bars and 2 bars - nothing in between. Sometimes it's on 4, other times it's on 2.

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

generally get all of my bars (right next to my computer).

10. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

Fixed this issue with the firmware update found HERE

Hope this helps!