MBP 2012 13" i7 vs MBA 2012 11" i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PapaVBnMOMO, Aug 18, 2012.

1. PapaVBnMOMO macrumors member

Hello,

I'm purchasing a new laptop next week for college and I'm torn between these two.
    MBP 13", i7, 8gb RAM for 1399, upgrading to ssd would be 100-200.
    or
    MBA 11", i7, 8gb RAM for 1274, but I would also get external bruray for about 100 more.

I need both to last at least 4 years...I like the upgradability of the MBP but also love the portability with the MBA.
    How big a difference is that 900mhz of processor?
    Any opinion would be welcomed, thanks!

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

What will you be using it for? People are still using the 2006 MacBooks with no issues. And those machines have been out for over 5 years now.

3. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

I would lean toward the Air but a 13". Better screen resolution. And a little more space for multiple windows

4. PapaVBnMOMO thread starter macrumors member

Normal school stuff, plus movies, minor photo/video editing and some presentations...
    Forgot to mention I got a 27" iMac at home if I need to do heavy stuff...

----------

I would but to get the i7 on the 13" MBA and 8 gb ram would be over 1600 and that's over my budget of 1500

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

13" Pro with user added 8GB or 16GB ram (less than $100) and an 240-256GB SSD (less than $220).

The 13" will last the years you need it with upgrading the RAM and the HDD to SSD. I say the 13" Pro, no question.

6. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

This... The 2.5ghz will be plenty and the SSD and Ram will make it as quick as the air but have more power... As for the screen res, there isn't really anything you can do. There might be a way to connect it to the iMac if you ever want to use a higher resolution for photoshop.

Edit: Didn't read the part about wanting a i7... I personally think the ssd and ram are more important.

7. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Screen size is the main difference, and we can't decide that for you.

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I had a 2011 i5 MBA and absolutely loved it. Super fast, super light and good battery life. Majorly recommended!

9. PapaVBnMOMO thread starter macrumors member

Thx for the inputs guys...I know the 13" MBP is the better value and I'll probable end up with it. I guess I'm just looking for some assurance if the get the 11" MBA, I can do everything I can with just as good as the MBP for the next four years....

10. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

Yes you can. As long as you are ok with the screen size, that will be a very nice student computer and very practical for class.

11. PapaVBnMOMO thread starter macrumors member

Thanks...the responsible person in me wants the MBP, but I keep going back to thinking the MBA is half the size and weight and its 70% as powerful as the MBP ( and that is IF the MBP gets an ssd, which is more $, in which the MBP is more expensive to begin with). Without the ssd it's peobably equal...

12. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

Definitely get an external HD and maybe even consider upgrading the ssd to 256

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The differences aren't that huge. The 8GB ram option would be a good one if considering this for 4 years. 4GB already feels super tight to me. With the MBP, ssd replacements are much cheaper. Ram can go to 16. Display is marginally lower in resolution, but viewing angles are superior and color is a bit better. Personally I think either is easy to carry around. I mean would the Air go with you at times where you would leave the MBP at home? In terms of SSDs, I have no idea whether you're comfortable changing a drive without stripping screws or breaking anything. Cheap screwdrivers are bad for this. Note some of the stripped screw complaints on here.

14. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Just from what you've written, I'd go with the MBP for the reasons others have said.

You could also get the base 13" MBP and upgrade to 16 GB RAM - it'll be faster than the Air, offers upgradable storage, etc.

15. PapaVBnMOMO thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the great inputs, had apple let you upgrade the base 13"MBA to i7, that would be my ideal machine, as I'm calculating it be around the 1350 price range with 8 gb ram, but to get the 13"MBA i7, with 8gb would be over 1600 since you have to get the 256gb ssd.

The other poster was right, there's no where I could not bring the MBP to where I can bring the air....
    Well maybe I'll lose some weight carry the extra 2 lbs....

Btw, I saw the refurb 2012 MBP 13" i7 for 1279, would you guys recommend this over brand new(1399)?

16. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

17. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

Get the Refurb (they are just as good as a new one) and install a 256gb ssd yourself. You will love it and you will still be below your budget. I personally believe that 128gb is not enough but that is because I don't enjoy moving things to my external constantly. Another benefit with the MBP is that you could use the hd as an external hard drive if you swap it for an SSD.

18. PapaVBnMOMO thread starter macrumors member

Now that I thought of it, the new one will come with a $100 iTunes gift card which I will definately use, so the savings is 30 bucks (I misquoted is was 1269). With 30 bucks I'm leaning toward the new one unless there are absolutely no difference....