MBP 2012 17" No Wifi Hardware (after replacing the card)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slvrscoobie, Jun 12, 2019.

1. slvrscoobie macrumors 6502a

slvrscoobie

Hey guys and gals.
    Weird thing happened to my MBP the other day. I was using it to check out my ADB-S webpage and i got up to get a drink. I sat back down and chrome said there was no internet.
    Sure enough i look at the wifi icon and its black with an X. (if i recall correctly) - says its turned off.
    Hmm, ok, try to turn on, no dice.
    Ok, reboot.....
    Now its a pie shape with an x in the middle and hovering says 'No wifi hardware installed'
    Well crud!
    Reset SMC + NVRAM
    same thing
    Open it up, wiggle the cable...
    Still no
    replace the airport card with one from my wifes 15"
    nothing
    dang it! - ok, cable must be bad. I still have BT but no wifi. (why couldnt those be reversed)
    Buy a new cable and card on ebay. They arrived today. Installed, reset SMC And NVRAM
    Still 'No Wifi hardware installed'
    Im hoping this isnt like a motherboard issue now...
    things of note: I had the continuity hack installed with the newer 4ACX card for .. 3 years? I uninstalled it today to see if the new card / cable would work if i uninstalled that. it didnt change anything.
    Im out of ideas and searching just brings up replacing the card or SMC resets.

2. currahee2100 macrumors regular

3. slvrscoobie, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019

slvrscoobie thread starter macrumors 6502a

slvrscoobie

oh and the BT seems to work fine...
    --- Post Merged, Jun 12, 2019 ---
    It did not, which is why i thought it must be the cable...i just tried with her card and the new cable, still nothing.
    it was an ebay apple card - said it was from a working machine. $10 for an old card, and ribbon cable, looked fine, other than some dust when it arrived. I also pulled the ribbon cable from my 13" mac and plugged it in to test, and still nothing...
    I bought a 2nd card and cable from Ebay, maybe i got a bum card / cable. I tried to swap em around (old card, new cable, and new card old cable too). but im not sure i reset everything between there.
    Im starting to lean towards the bad mobo connection or something :(

4. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

There’s no such thing as a 2012 17” model. The last model for the 17” was the late 2011