MBP 2012 + 2nd Hard Drive option

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jhonnypolak, Jun 13, 2012.

1. jhonnypolak macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

First post, so don't kill the noob ;) ...

Might be a silly question, but since I can't find a teardown of the NEW 2012 MBP, i was wondering if anyone knows if there's an option to put in a 2nd hdd ?

In the 2011 you could remove the DVD drive and use a DVD -> HDD caddy to put in a 2nd hdd. I would like to do this on the 2012 MBP, but im not sure its possible.

Anyone have any solid sources or info about this ?

2. Dizzie20vt macrumors member

if you mean the retina version then no you can't add a 2nd HDD.

If you mean the standard version then I would safely assume you can swap out the CD drive for a 2nd HDD

3. jhonnypolak thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm talking about the Standard 13" MBP. (non retina)

4. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Yes, you can still put a 2nd hard drive in place of the CD drive in a regular MBP. It's not officially supported by Apple, but it's very commonly done. You will need to buy a caddy that holds the HD in the CD drive spot.

5. MisterSensitive macrumors regular

Search "Other World Computing" + "Data Doubler"

6. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Anyone else think this should have been supported by Apple?

Personally, I think the best laptop would have been a MBP (non-retina size), retina screen and 2 hard drives. Maintains user-upgrades, gets in a second drive for a boot drive + data drive combo, but also gets that gorgeous screen. :D

7. MisterSensitive macrumors regular

As important as this capability is to me, I think the vast majority of folks wouldn't need it, so no, I don't think it makes business sense for Apple to support it.

8. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Not even as a BTO option? Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to implement. I guess it really is only a temporary necessity until SSDs are economical enough for regular data storage

9. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Take a hard look. Do you think you can fit a 2.5 inch hard drive in any of that?

[​IMG]

Yeah no. What you buy is what you get.

EDIT: Yes you can put a second hard drive in the fat macbook pro 13 and 15. Look into the OWC data doubler. That's what I did with my 2011 mbp 15. Works like a charm.

10. MisterSensitive macrumors regular

Sounds good, but It would require a non-critical void space in the design. As much as I'd personally like it, it doesn't make business sense.

I'm sure I am one of a tiny handful of users who wants a second drive in a laptop.

11. beamer8912, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

beamer8912 macrumors 65816

I think there's a decent amount considering the success of OWC data doubler. Plus it would help Apple's quest to kill optical drives.

But alas, I believe you are right. It just doesn't make business sense. Perhaps the least they could do is amend the warranty and allow users to put in their own second drive. Doesn't it currently void your warranty?

12. danetello macrumors 6502