MBP 2012 Dual Monitors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheTekJake, Jul 22, 2013.

1. TheTekJake macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

So let me try and explain my situation. I use a 24" TV which is a nice 1080p, as my MacBook Pro 2012 13'' secondary monitor. However, right next to this display is a 20'' 1600 x 900 display I use with my PC. I don't use this PC extremely often (It's a custom build) so I though, why not use my MacBook Pro with that other display and have 3 displays including the built in one! I was ready to purchase a VGA to Dual VGA adapter for $10 on Amazon. (As seen here http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-...id=1374555520&sr=8-1&keywords=vga+to+dual+vga). I decided to do some reading up and many people were saying this is not possible. I do know the Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge built in graphics allowed the updated MacBooks to use two monitors along with the built in display, and most of the people saying it was not possible were talking about the 2011 model, but I am still very confused and I simply want to know if I can or can not purchase this and run the two monitors. My MBP 2012 does have 8 GB of RAM and I will be upgrading it to 16 GB soon so I don't quite remember if that will make a difference but I really need some help!

Regards
    -Jake:apple:

2. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Well, a couple of problems with your plan.

- Where is the VGA port on your MBP? ;)
    - The VGA adapter you linked sends the same analog signal to two VGA displays, it does not add an additional display port

If you want 2 external monitors and good performance/framerates on both then no, you can't do that with your current setup. You would use the 24" as you have it and then get something like a USB -> HDMI adapter (Does the 20" have HDMI/DVI or is it VGA only?). The display connected to the USB adapter may work ok for desktop stuff, but don't plan on watching videos or playing games.

The only official way to connect two external devices to your 2012 cMBP is to daisy-chain two Thunderbolt displays.

3. TheTekJake thread starter macrumors newbie

Well what I have currently have is a Thunderbolt to VGA Adapter (Probably should have stated that). I was hoping I could plug in the VGA to Dual VGA cable into my current adapter and then send the two VGA cables to both the TV and the monitor. Luckily, I do have DVI on the 20'', but no HDMI. The only problem is it costs at least $60 for a USB to DVI adapter! Crazy! Sadly I can only daisy-chain if it is an Apple monitor... Is there anything you could suggest for me to use both the TV, my laptop, and the monitor together? Is there a HDMI to dual HDMI adapter I could buy? I was thinking about upgrading the 20'' or even buying a used apple 23'' monitor on eBay.

Regards
    -Jake:apple: