MBP 2012 Pro 13'': 2.5 GHz 2-core IntelCorei5 ..or.. 13'': 2.9 2-core IntelCorei7 ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cdwheel, Jun 23, 2012.

1. cdwheel macrumors newbie

I'm about to buy a new mid 2012 13 inch MBP, and I don't know which one to choose. If I choose the 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5, I'll definitely add the 8GB RAM upgrade.

But my biggest concern is which one feels more comfortable in temperature. In other words, which one is cooler? Does the 2.9Ghz 2-core Intel Core i7 get hotter running the fan more often at a higher speed because it has a faster processor? Or it doesn't have to do anything with it?

2. Skjetne macrumors member

worst thread title ever, but theres what i think;

i5 is more than enough for the consumer, but if you are a prosumer choose the i7. The i7 is more powerful, so when it gets hot, i would guess a bit hotter than the i5. i5 is more than enough for my mbp which I use to do text editing, surfing, watching videos and the occasional game or two.
    And when it comes to the RAM, you should buy it aftermarket from best buy or something, because thats a no-brainer to change. It does not void the warranty :)

3. Geo411m macrumors regular

Think about it like this. You're already going to do the Ram upgrade so that's $100 less. So for $200 extra you're getting an i7 2.9GHZ that's at least 15% faster than the i5 2.5GHZ and an extra 250GB hard drive. Plus if you are a college student you save an extra $100 and get a $100 iTunes card. That doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.

Also, I haven't had any issues with overheating and I have the i7 macbook pro.

4. cdwheel thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL I agree!!

Geo411m, you're right, I think I'll just get that one. Sounds like a much better deal.

Cheers!

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Get the low end. If you really need an i7 then you probably could use a discrete video card too. The difference is a matter of seconds, maybe minutes in some instances. If you are not doing daily batch processes or video or audio encoding then you won't miss a few seconds or even couple minutes, and you'll have a few extra hundred bucks in your pocket.

6. fleawannabe macrumors regular

Debating on the same thing, but you can upgrade the ram for 50.00 bucks through a outside company and get a 256gb ssd for 250.00 and do the optibay. So there is your 300.00 dollars and you have 756gb combine HD and 8GB RAM. You lose the .4 processor speed but the ssd will more than make up for it. You will lose the disk drive but you can always buy a usb one.