MBP 2012 worth the upgrade to rMBP 2014?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pad18, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Pad18 macrumors member

I currently own a 2012 MBP (13in, 2.9Ghz i7, 16Gb ram, 750GB HD). The programs I use on a day to day basis include Ableton, Logic, Microsoft Office. Slightly less often I use Final Cut Pro (which has always been painstakingly slow) and Photoshop. I currently have used up 350gb of the 750gb internal memory.

I have a year left with my warranty and I was thinking of selling it while the resell value is still high. But my concern is the non self-upgradeable options on the new rMBP, as upgrading with apple is ridiculously expensive.

Any advice?

2. Anitramane macrumors 6502

I own the very same computer and I say no it’s not worth it because the new ones aren’t that much of an improvement.

3. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

No reason to upgrade, at least performance-wise. Pay $200 for a Crucial MX100 512 SSD and you will get similar performance. The i7 in your cMBP benches almost as exactly the same as the new rMBP models. Not to mention an i7 on a rMBP would be pretty expensive. Any perceived difference in speed going to a 2014 would be purely because of the SSD over your current 750GB HDD.

4. Pad18 thread starter macrumors member

is it worth loosing the 250gb of HD space for that?

5. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

The speed difference for an SSD is more than worth the loss in storage space, especially if you aren't using it. Plus, the advantage of the upgradeability in the non retinas means when you have the money you put a 1TB SSD in the future if need be.

Once you go SSD, you will never go back to a HDD.

6. Anitramane macrumors 6502

…except that HDD has some pros that SSDs haven’t beaten yet. Meaning that Ts can have a usage of his disk that is preferred for a hard drive.

7. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

This is as bad as people on the iMac forums telling people to get the 680MX over the 780M because the 680MX overclocks better, as if 99.999% of users will actually do this.

While I'm sure there are situations where the HDD may very well keep up the SSD(I honestly don't know of any, so until you provide a reputable link or resource, I'll take that with a grain of salt)there is probably a VERY tiny minority people where this shows up. Right now, there is just far more too many disadvantages to an HDD if you have the money to spend on an SSD.

8. gochi macrumors 6502

as far as performance you wont notice it

but ooooh the appeal the aesthetics are worth it.

9. funwithdesign macrumors regular

Bear in mind that a SSD add-in, while it will increase the speed dramatically and will be noticeable, does not come close to approaching the speeds of the PCIe ssd in the 2014 macbook pro.

Whether you notice a difference will be determined by what you are doing with it.

10. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Get a Samsung 840 EVO instead with 1TB, if you need the extra space. Or, go the optibay route and have SSD + HD in it.

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yes it is an ssd is the single biggest difference you can make to a laptop, my old 2010 MBP is still going strong and flying with a SATA II ssd, yours will fully utilise a SATA III one and while not as fast as pcie versions in day to day use it will not be very noticeable.