MBP 2015 and Dell UP2715K GPU usage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by waxmachine, Mar 19, 2016.

1. waxmachine macrumors newbie

Hi!

I own an MacBook Pro 2015 with a dedicated graphics card. I'm thinking about buying a Dell UP2715K. Has anybody used this display with this MBP?

I'm specifically wondering about the impact the 5K display will have on the GPU or CPU usage. Will the system get hotter and will be fans speed up? Does anybody have experience with this?

Thanks,
    Michel

2. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

I have a 2015 13" MBP hooked up to a Dell P2715Q 4K monitor via displayport and it looks great at 4K - 60Hz resolution. The fan(s) on my MBP usually don't kick on unless I watch a video on YouTube or Netflix after 10 minutes or so. Otherwise the fan(s) never turn on. Or at least I can't hear them.

3. waxmachine thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that's good to now.

A 4K monitor is not a 5K though. A 5K is about 75% larger than a 4K (in term of number of pixels). Anybody having a 5K?

4. Noltimm macrumors member

Noltimm

I am also intrested for any info about CPU and GPU usage!

I plan to connect this monitor to iMac 27 5K with 4gb 395X graphic card...

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You can't iMac has no target display mode anymore due to the special nature of the 5k connection in it.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 6, 2016 ---
    5k screens would need to be connected by 2 mini display port 1.2 cables using both thunderbolt ports and to be honest I would expect the M370x to struggle with a 5k screen to say the least, most laptops struggle with 4K. Also the dGPU is used by default for all external screens so be aware of that there is no external connection for the iGPU on that rMBP.

6. Noltimm macrumors member

Noltimm

I plan to connect Dell 5K monitor to iMac 27 5K with 4gb 395X graphic card...

Because of that i am intrested about any info related with CPU and GPU usage :)

7. waxmachine thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi!

I bought the display and tested it for more than a week now. I can confirm that the MacBook gets indeed a lot hotter and consequently louder when the display is connected. The fans typically run at 2100rpm when I use it on the road, but when I plug in the 5K display (with two Thunderbolt cables as Samuelsan2001 correctly mentioned) and I do the simplest things that use the graphics card just a bit (such as browsing a website with a couple of pictures or watching a video) the fans speed up to 3300rpm and sometimes even to 3600rpm. The thing is they stay there for a long time and only get back to 2100rpm if I stop using the computer.

I have to admit that - even though I'm a fan of silent computers - this display is definitely worth the additional noise. 3600rpm is not too much (it's still bearable) and the display is so wonderfully beautiful that you can ignore any disadvantages coming with it :)

I hope this helps.

Please note that my experience applies to a MacBook Pro and not an iMac. It might be completely different there. The MacBook Pro seems to have a general issue with heat. I guess it's due to its slim design.

Michel

8. Noltimm macrumors member

Noltimm

What about CPU and GPU usage (activity monitor)?

Tell me about smoothnes of graphic and if you notice some FPS drops...

Thanks for reply...

9. waxmachine thread starter macrumors newbie

CPU usage is not increased. As far as I know you can get no information about GPU usage from the activity monitor (I mean in terms of percentage), can you?

Michel

10. Noltimm macrumors member

Noltimm

Yes about GPU is true. No stats about it in activity monitor.

Tell me about smoothnes of graphic and if you notice some FPS drops... in transitions if you use Mission Control...

Thanks, Marko

11. waxmachine thread starter macrumors newbie

Mission control and everything else runs perfectly smooth. But please note that I use a MacBook. I cannot tell how it works on an iMac.

Michel

12. Noltimm macrumors member

Noltimm

Yes, I understand that you drive this beast with Macbook. But if Macbook work flawlessy with graphic card m370 then it can not be a problem with M395X with 4Gb ram. I think so...

Thanks for all replies :)

13. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Did you run your MBP connected to the Dell display on clamshell mode or extended mode...?

14. Noltimm macrumors member

Noltimm

I can confirm that UP2715K works flawlessy with an iMac 27 5K m395x 4gb. All animations work without stutter...

15. waxmachine thread starter macrumors newbie

Both. With closed clamshell it's a bit better but not much.