MBP 2015 Battery Issues

Beerco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Hi,

My kid's early 2015 MPB (12,1) is having some major issues with the battery. It has 299 cycles and the O.S. is claiming that it needs to be replaced now.

When I first started playing with it, it showed 91% for a few minutes but that it needed to be replaced and after that, it's been showing 0%, not charging.

I tried the SMC reset which seemed to do nothing - probably didn't work at all. I took the back lid off and unplugged the battery which also did nothing. PRAM reset gave me a chime twice but still didn't seem to do anything.

One rather strange thing - I have the exact same model with the exact same version of OS X and they boot differently. On mine, it boots to a black screen with the apple logo and there's a progress bar until the OS is loaded. Then it goes to the logon screen.

On the bad one, it boots to the same screen but then very quickly changes to the logon screen. When you select a user, it then shows the progress bar and continues to load.

Any guesses as to how

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
It sounds like you need a new battery. As to boot, one machine is using FileVault and one is not (that's my guess).

Reactions: Webster's Mac

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
I'd get the battery replaced at an Apple Store.
$199.
I think that's supposed to include both parts and labor, BE SURE you have an understanding about this BEFORE you hand it over to them.

If there are charging issues, I imagine they'll check this out when the new battery is installed.

Beerco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks guys - I agree it must be a bum battery. My kid wants to go DIY but I've had my fill of digging around modern electronics....we'll see!