MBP 2015 drain battery problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davidmogar, Apr 14, 2015.

1. davidmogar macrumors newbie

I have a MBP 2015 since last weekend and I'm having some problems with batteries (at least I think so). For example, Chrome downloading a file from Mega shows an Avg. Energy Impact of around 60k and now, developing with Android Studio I'm getting 8k. Have do you noticed this? My friend MBG (late 2014) takes just 25 :(

Also, the first time launching the app, while indexing, fans were working at full speed.

Do I have to worry about?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

No

the fans always spin up when indexing and working at the same time.

As for chrome it is rubbish it uses a ridiculous amount of resources and can cut your battery time in half, especially if you are running flash on it which is another resource hog.

See here for all your battery information needs.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23

3. davidmogar thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, no problem with fans. Indeed only happened during the first launch. I can live with that, but Android Studio drains my battery and that happens without much work on it. My coworker, next to me, working in the same project but with a MBP late 2014 have not this problem.

4. davidmogar thread starter macrumors newbie

I've noticed that the problem arises while Gradle is working. Could be a problem with some driver? During a refresh I've could seen values as high as 50k for a really small period of time. I can see also a lot of peeks on Energy Impact graph.

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Quit using Chrome, it's a resource hog on OS X. Safari is much more power efficient.

6. davidmogar thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm using Safari exclusively now, but the problem is still there. MBP late 2014 is getting much battery life that my MBP 2015. Android Studio is draining my battery (Final Cut Pro too).

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

8. davidmogar thread starter macrumors newbie

MBP 2015 with 256 disk i5 2.7

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

13" I assume?

Trying to determine if it's got a dGPU.

10. davidmogar thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, 13".

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

How long have you had it??

Edit just seen only a week. If less than 14 days return for anther one they'll exchange no questions asked. If not get apple to do a battery check on it for you. It is sounding like a possible hardware problem, when they are new they are usually pretty good about just swapping them out even after 14 days.

You could always delete and reinstall apps one at a time until you find one that is causing it but I'd try and rule out hardware first especially if it's new.

12. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Are you seeing Android Studio using high cpu on the activity monitor?

13. davidmogar thread starter macrumors newbie

Mostly the same that my coworker but I'm having this weird peeks. For example, after restore the SMC (as told by Apple) I compared the energy impact of both computers while launching Android Studio and while my friend had a maximum value of 400 I have peeks of 30k, 90k and 120k.

14. davidmogar thread starter macrumors newbie

15. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

If you are concerned then you should both boot in safe mode and launch the app. There are too many other things going on and I don't expect the algorithm to produce the energy usage was ever intended to be used for any minute-by-minute troubleshooting between different machines.

16. paranoidaditya, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015

paranoidaditya macrumors newbie

Hey, I just received mine about 2 hours ago
    13" 256 GB 2.7 Ghz i5
    And i do confirm i am having the exact same issue.
    Coming from a Macbook Air i never experienced these kind of issues.
    I am running Chrome and the Android studio (canary build)
    :(
    I don't think its a hardware specific problem
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The avg impact is so high , it used to be like 100-200 on my air
    and the spikes are just after restarting the mac and opening Youtube on chrome
    And one more observation as well
    Skype also has a very high avg energy impact of around 1.5 k

17. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

Android Studio, and Final Cut Pro are both what I would consider to be energy intensive applications. They require considerable resources to run, and your CPU will not be able to utilize lower power states as often. Expect substantially shorter battery life when using them. That said it looks to me that maybe something in Android Studio is not behaving properly. Remove and reinstall Android Studio, and continue to not use Chrome. Do you have any other apps that are showing substantial energy usage? Substantial IMO = Average Energy Impact values greater than 15.

18. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It's a Chrome problem - it's very inefficient. Safari gives much better battery life.

19. paranoidaditya macrumors newbie

Safari , App store , iTunes all have a average energy impact values greater than 15 on my side.
    At the moment
    Safari = 65.23
    App Store= 245.76
    iTunes= 87.62