MBP 2015 processor options

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by th0masp, Nov 5, 2016.

1. th0masp macrumors member

hey, just wondering about the MBP 2015 15-inch model processor options. comes with a 2.2 ghz i7 as standard. however, if i go for an new laptop this year i'd like to pick the highest tier, the 2.8 ghz i7.

any side effects i need to be aware of? does the machine by any chance run noticeably hot/noisy in this configuration over the slower cpu options?

thanks!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

3. th0masp thread starter macrumors member

yeah thanks, but - i actually want to avoid dGPU at all costs. ;) runs hot and noisy in my experience, even for stuff like web surfing it sometimes kicks in on my current one. plus, a bit problematic when hooking up external displays frequently. iGPU is plenty for my uses and keeps it simple, cool running and quiet. might still be shopping refurbs though!

just curious if the MBP's cooling design is up to the task for the fastest CPU option or if we know about any issues with that one.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Apple wouldn't be selling the product if the cooling system couldn't handle it.

Additionally, the amount of heat produced by the 2.8GHz chip is very similar to the heat produced by the 2.2GHz and 2.5GHz models. There really isn't that much more heat to deal with.

5. th0masp thread starter macrumors member

i wouldn't put it past any manufacturer to sell a configuration that is borderline for what the case/airflow was designed for. but - i'm actually just trying to making sure i'm not falling for an obvious issue here.

short of anyone coming forward and pointing me to known issues, i'll indeed assume that 'it just works'. :)