MBP 2015 Reflective Coating

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by partyboy4357, May 11, 2019.

1. partyboy4357 macrumors member

partyboy4357

2. baypharm macrumors 68000

baypharm

Your best bet is to send an email directly to Apple Support, call them, or go into one of their stores if you are close to one. They would be able to give you a definitive answer.

3. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

They will replace it. A friend of mine's was out of warranty and he took it into the store and they were happy to replace the screen. That's been a few months ago but I'm sure they would still do it.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP:

Sounds like you have "StainGate".
    If you don't know what that is, read up on it.

Solution:
    Make an appt. to have the MBP looked at, at an Apple Store.
    But... DON'T DELAY -- Make the appt. IMMEDIATELY (this means right now, after you read this msg).

The extended warranty replacement program covers the computer for 4 years from the date of purchase.
    That means that you may be "getting close" to the expiration date.

So again... get this done WITHOUT DELAY.

If you snooze on this -- you're gonna lose!

5. partyboy4357 thread starter macrumors member

partyboy4357

--- Post Merged, May 13, 2019 ---
    I went in today and they said it was covered. Purchase date is aug of 2015 so was in 4 yr window. Plus screen had small dent on top corner so should get that replaced with the screen. Said I should have it back by Friday.

6. partyboy4357 thread starter macrumors member

partyboy4357

Curious is the replacement screen not susceptible to the problem? Meaning it shouldn’t happen again on new screen

7. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

Yes. They have supposedly fixed this and the de-lamination isn’t supposed to occur again.

8. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

I respectfully disagree with Donnation in reply 7 above.

Yes, the newer displays are somewhat more durable than earlier models, regarding StainGate damage.

But... the displays STILL HAVE a "sprayed-on" particulate coating, and without proper care, I believe they can still be vulnerable to StainGate-like damage.

So... proper use and care IS still required.
    Don't let your fingers contact the display surface, particularly when opening/closing the lid.
    Don't "wipe" the surface of the display with ANYTHING -- just "dust across" it to remove loose particles.
    If there's something that won't dislodge with dusting, use a very soft cloth moistened with water, and as little "rubbing" as possible -- then "dry by dusting", as above.
    No "screen protectors" and no "keyboard protectors".
    That should prolong the display life.

My 2015 was bought in Dec. 2016, screen still looks great after following the above guidelines.

9. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

Dude that's basic screen maintenance 101. If you aren't doing those things and have further issues with the screen then that's on the user. "Proper care" is required of any screen.