MBP 2015 - screen goes black randomly - still responsive though

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrjake, Nov 20, 2015.

1. mrjake macrumors newbie

mrjake

So this is a tricky one. It happens every week or so and is really irritating

SYMPTOM
    Sometimes the screen goes black on my 2015 macbook pro [retina, 16gb, 500gb SSD]

Whilst the screen is black I can still see the mouse cursor, and I can move to another screen/desktop by swiping left or right with a few fingers on the track pad, but it only shows for a split second and then it goes black again.

Generally if I close the screen/lid and open it a few times, repeating the above process it comes back to normal

I TRIED
    • I assumed it was maybe the screensaver kicking in that triggered it - disabling screensaver didnt help

• Disabling screen-sleep after X minutes didnt help

• My next assumption was that it's trying to display on an external monitor - there is no external monitor attached

I can't find other posts about this - is it a known issue with a known fix? Should I contact Apple support?

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

By chance do you have Adobe's Creative Cloud installed?

3. mrjake thread starter macrumors newbie

mrjake

Hmm. I think I do, yes. Will confirm 100% later...... why?

4. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

If you have Creative Clod...I mean Cloud, that's what's causing it. Adobe's aware of the issue...they just don't care to fix it. There's nothing wrong with your rMBP.

5. mrjake thread starter macrumors newbie

mrjake

wow ok will try uninstalling it later - thanks!

6. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

The culprit is the CC applet that loads on startup (i.e. the one showing in the menu bar). I don't think there's a way to uninstall just the applet - unless of course you dump Adobe's CC program altogether (which is what I did).

7. mrjake thread starter macrumors newbie

mrjake

i've uninstalled it, lets see how it goes :)

8. mrjake thread starter macrumors newbie

mrjake

This seems to have worked. Thank you. I do need Adobe software... not sure what to do about that, but at least the issue is identified!

9. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

Hey, I just love threads like this! Dude X has a problem, dude Y knows the answer - marvelous.