Mbp 2016 15" Battery life w/ Chrome?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by huffy15, Sep 14, 2017.

1. huffy15 macrumors regular

ok, I have macbook pro 2016 I bought in early December and it has been to Apple Care for the second time. I need to leave it for another week, but they didn't replace it. It seems like they don't do this, just repair. I'm only using Google Chrome and it can't use safari for my job.

Anyone can tell me how many hours they are getting on average with Google Chrome as their primary browser. I'm now at 450 cycles count and I'm charging my laptop 4 times a day with an average 3 hours (never reached 4 hours). I don't watch a lot of video, just web browsing.

thx

2. maxsquared macrumors regular

First thing to check is when you use your MacBook on battery, does it use your dedicated graphics card? You can check this by go to Apple Logo > About This Mac and see if under graphics, if it's Intel only or both AMD and Intel graphics card has been used. If the AMD card is being used, eliminate why it needs that and kill the app.

Then have you looked at your Activity Monitor and see if anything is hogging your CPU or ram?

Also, I found restarting your Mac at least once a day helps eliminate CPU hogging programs.

3. SurfaceBookUser macrumors member

13" 2016 TB here. I can confirm, Chrome kills my battery as well and I've noticed significant improvements when using Safari. Just open the same content in Chrome/Safari and watch your activity monitor, Chrome and all of it's processes continuously use significantly more CPU than Safari.

4. huffy15 thread starter macrumors regular

Thx for your feedback. I can't believe there's no chrome update almost a year later :s