MBP 2016 battery life issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kasakka, May 12, 2017.

1. kasakka macrumors 68000

I have a 2016 15" MBP with Touchbar and have issues with battery life. Just today I started working around 10 AM with a battery charged from empty last night and already before 2 PM it is saying battery is low. This including about 40 minutes for lunch when I wasn't using it. I don't have anything heavy running (mostly Chrome, Slack, Sourcetree and a code editor), the battery menu doesn't say anything is using significant power. Running OSX 10.12.4.

Is my battery faulty or something?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Hmm, might be the culprit; there are waves of complaints about Chrome chewing through battery life. Restart the computer with reopen windows when logging back in unchecked, then try use Safari instead and see if the battery life is better.

This will at least isolate if the problem is relating to Chrome or something else.

3. kasakka thread starter macrumors 68000

This has never been an issue with my previous 2013 MBP. Unless something has changed in a recent version, Chrome should not be the culprit. Using Safari is not an option because its devtools are worse.

4. Ma2k5 macrumors 65816

Ma2k5

There are several programs, even text-based editors out there, which for whatever reason activate the dGPU - so check that isn't happening. If it is happening, you may have to use a tool to disable dGPU.

Chrome should be fine unless you got some really strange plugins - it was a power hog for me once, but they recently have worked to get that down. However, it could also be certain sites or otherwise when used with Chrome, which activates the dGPU?

5. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Using Safari instead of Chrome is for troubleshooting rather than a permanent suggestion. As I mentioned, if the battery life is better when using Safari instead, this would isolate the problem is relating to Chrome. Otherwise, we can go from there.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Have you bought it recently and loaded it with a load of apps and files?? If so is it running spotlight indexing?? This can kill the battery for the first few days or so.

7. kasakka thread starter macrumors 68000

No I've had from the start of the year. I have just used it 99% on charger so I haven't looked into the battery life.

8. colinwil macrumors regular

Was it plugged into an external montor?

If it was, then it will always use the 'High Perf' gpu, and your battery life will plummet - even if the computr's not running much.

9. matram macrumors member

The battery monitor will only show apps that are currently using a lot of power. Any connected HW or dgpu will not show. I use istat to show me current watts consumed. That or something similar is a great help to search for the problem.

For example if I plug in an external monitor power used goes from 7 to 20 watt.

10. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

What does the System Report/Hardware Profiler say about the battery?
    I'm guessing you already tried PRAM/SMC?
    Have you checked your launchd folders to see what is being launched at startup and login?
    Have you logged/monitored your CPU usage relative to specific processes?
    Are you able to verify whether or not your dGPU is being activated during usage?