MBP 2016 completely dead (wont turn on)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VossProject, Jun 22, 2017.

1. VossProject macrumors newbie

VossProject

If you dont want to read the story my conclusion is at the end.

i own a maxed out 2016 MBP w/ TB. I purchased it late December, on Sunday morning I went to turn it on and it was completely dead. Never had the keys issue or any issue with it, it was an awesome computer until it just failed with no warning at all, keep in my i take care of this thing like a baby. Never dropped it, spilled water on it or anything. Headed down to the nearest apple store after getting no progress by troubleshooting myself(im a pretty tech savvy person). The man at the store said they would replace it the same day if they had the product in the back, of course they didnt have a maxed out MBP in stock. Get on the phone and call them the next day to ask when they'll ship out my custom MBP, Manager got on the phone and kept telling me they were going to repair it. So... I Called up apple care and since I did have warranty they said they would fix it. I did not want a repaired product because when I had originally went to the store they said id get a replacement. played phone tag for 2 days totaling about 10-15 hours sitting on the phone with holds etc.. Comes down to it i had to get real stern and finally got apple care to send me a replacement. Theadvisor told me my serial number was flag with a big red flag for battery issues and they needed to "capture" my device. They are going to send me a packing slip today, then they will get my brand new replacement ready. They said it will be tested before and should have no issues. They also told me issues like mine rarely happen.

My conclusion: Why should an 18 year old like me or anyone have to pay $4000-5000 just to get a device repaired that should work from the start and not break within 6 months. I was not going to accept a repair, I was either going to get it returned or get a brand new replacement that actually works, i couldn't risk a repair and then god forbid having something else go wrong. I use this for work (graphic deign and photography) and I lost a whole photo shoot that was done this last weekend. Good thing everything else was backed up on a portable SSD..

I want to believe it is reliable and I just hit the lotto with a bad product.

2. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    Apple is in their right to repair a device under warranty, or whole unit replacement at their discretion.

If you can't afford to be without a computer, buy a second, and also setup multiple backups. Also, unless under a contract that specifically states, no company owes for lost time due to delays.

3. montanaco macrumors 6502

montanaco

Yeah this happened to me a couple months ago. Lost photo and music work that was extremely important. It sucks, but it happens. Best advice is to just treat it like a lemon and realize it's not worth stressing. It happened and it's done. Best of luck!

4. VossProject thread starter macrumors newbie

VossProject

have you had any problems since? did you get the extended warranty after that happened?

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

If you rely on your hardware for a living primary and secondary systems are mandatory. Notebooks same all produce can and do fail, being prepared is the key. IT's also worth minding the many Apple stores do not cary built to order spec in store making the high tier standard models more attractive for obvious reasons; walk in, walk out with replacement, certainly a higher likelihood.

Q-6

6. jerryk macrumors 68030

You need to get a backup strategy in place. Anything critical should be in 3 physical places (think fire in your primary workspace).

7. leman macrumors 604

You have very unrealistic expectations. Everything breaks and everything can be subject to seemingly random failures. That's why such a thing as warranty exists. The "this product is expensive so it will never fail" attitude is nothing but plain stupidity.

P.S. over last two years i've bought a number of household devices that are known to have extremely low failure rates. Most of them had default warranty of 5 or more years - that how confident the manufacturers are. Well, all of them failed within few months Service was great though, got repaired units very quickly.

8. jerryk, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017

jerryk macrumors 68030

I am just going through a fridge with a 5 year warranty. It lasted 3 years before it first quit cooling. They fixed it after a 5 weeks part delay. The next year it quit cooling again. 4 weeks part delay this time. And this year (year 6) it is starting to get warm again. But now only the parts are covered, labor is on me. I swear if the repair estimate is more than 25% the cost of a new one, this thing is going in the trash. Or I will use it for target practice.

9. montanaco macrumors 6502

montanaco

Nope! Been smooth sailing since. And no my warranty is the same limited 1 year one I started with.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 22, 2017 ---
    Yeah totally, I always back my stuff up. Just so happens the work I lost had been done like, within 24 hours of my computer failing so I was just super unlucky in that case.

10. VossProject thread starter macrumors newbie

VossProject

same here the work I had lost was done withing a 48 hour period, it was just pure bit of unluckiness.

11. VossProject thread starter macrumors newbie

VossProject

Did you take a replacement product (brand new) or just repair the current mbp? Please get back to me.

12. montanaco macrumors 6502

montanaco

So basically they said they were going to try and repair it, and if it wasn't possible they would replace it. The ended up just repairing it (but they changed the battery, logic board, and top case completely so its really like getting a brand new computer lol).