Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Ok, first a disclaimer - on one of the posts here, I claimed my 2.7 CPU (new MBP) got around to 70 degrees while running CPU intensive tasks. It seems I was wrong, I didn't look at the correct temperature in iStat Menus, I was checking CPU Proximity - and it's true, I just can't get CPU proximity over 70, in fact, it's around 60 for even the most intensive tasks. However, I didn't observe CPU Digital Core and Die (PECI) sensors. No idea what those are. But these hit 90-100 degrees on a regular basis when running Zbrush. Continuous brush strokes cause these to constatnly go from 95-100, and pausing for even a very short time drops them down. But if I keep working, they are near 100 all the time.

Now, I didn't measure temperatures with iStat Menus on my previous MBP, but it was definitely more warm to the touch than the current model, and the fans were blowing full force. My current MBP is not very warm to the touch and the CPU proximity is rarely above 60, never hits 70. But, as I said, Digital Core and Die are a different thing.

This never happens while I'm using Photoshop and Clip Studio Paint, but these are not CPU intensive.

So, my question is - is this normal? I didn't worry about this for almost three years with my old MBP, and it felt warmer to the touch than the new one. But for some reason I started paying attention, and now I've brought myself to full paranoia mode: is this normal? Is it safe to run Zbrush for hours and hours?

Anyone has any info? Thanks.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
So, my question is - is this normal? I didn't worry about this for almost three years with my old MBP, and it felt warmer to the touch than the new one. But for some reason I started paying attention, and now I've brought myself to full paranoia mode: is this normal? Is it safe to run Zbrush for hours and hours?

Not all CPUs are made equally. 70° on the proximity is 1° hotter than my 2014 MBP. Die/core is what really matters though (proximity sensor gives a fine indications, but the others are the actual temps in the CPU). Are these normal temperatures for a Mac under load? Absolutely. Are they great temperatures? Nope. Should you worry? Not really - If it ever gets problematic, the CPU will slow down itself to generate less heat or if it's very severe, stop the computer entirely to cool down. My CPU is around 95° most the time and it's not throttling so far. It will with time and dust, and would it potentially live longer at lower temperatures? Maybe. Do I worry about it? Not really. I bought this computer to do work, I want a Mac, this is what that means. And so far, it hasn't really done me any harm. They run mostly flawlessly for years, and the CPU is rarely the toasty one. I've had a dead AMD GPU, but hey, they fixed it for free (2011MBP)

Reactions: aevan

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Not all CPUs are made equally. 70° on the proximity is 1° hotter than my 2014 MBP. Die/core is what really matters though (proximity sensor gives a fine indications, but the others are the actual temps in the CPU). Are these normal temperatures for a Mac under load? Absolutely. Are they great temperatures? Nope. Should you worry? Not really - If it ever gets problematic, the CPU will slow down itself to generate less heat or if it's very severe, stop the computer entirely to cool down. My CPU is around 95° most the time and it's not throttling so far. It will with time and dust, and would it potentially live longer at lower temperatures? Maybe. Do I worry about it? Not really. I bought this computer to do work, I want a Mac, this is what that means. And so far, it hasn't really done me any harm. They run mostly flawlessly for years, and the CPU is rarely the toasty one. I've had a dead AMD GPU, but hey, they fixed it for free (2011MBP)

Ok, good to know. As I said, I never worried about it before. Thanks.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
No worries - don't want you having a heart attack for no reason.

:) No worries, I'll stop paying attention to it, as long as I know it's normal. The problem is I did a few quick Google searches (with something like "is 100 degrees normal for a laptop cpu") and first few forums I ran into people were like "100 degrees? That's way too much". Either way, what you said is what I needed to hear. Thx.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
:) No worries, I'll stop paying attention to it, as long as I know it's normal. The problem is I did a few quick Google searches (with something like "is 100 degrees normal for a laptop cpu") and first few forums I ran into people were like "100 degrees? That's way too much". Either way, what you said is what I needed to hear. Thx.
You'll also find people saying that here, but according to Intel who makes the darn thing, 105 is the point where they start down throttling so anything below that is within spec and as long as it doesn't turn off the computer or get super slow from heat, it's fine

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Yes it is normal. The reason why you see the magical 100C is because it's the highest safe operating temperature and the CPU tries to get as much performance out as it can. Everything up to spec. Don't worry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.