MBP 2016 Crashing - Premiere

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TylerD554, Mar 20, 2017.

1. TylerD554 macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2013
    Hello friends,

I bought the new MBP with the 2.9ghz processor, Radeon 460, 16GB of RAM to use for work in the video/film industry. I have a 2013 Mac Pro, but I prefer to do rough cuts on a laptop, then jump over to the trashcan to finalize and render.

I'm experiencing crashes every 20 or so minutes in Premiere Pro running the playback at 1/16th. My old mid 2012 was able to edit at 1/8th, so I have to believe something is wrong.

I did a full fresh install and still have issues. It's very difficult to replicate the symptoms, but I can induce one nearly every time.

Here are the things I've observed.

- Random crashes with bare clips, nothing has been done to them

- After the crash I have to unplug everything, external hard drive and even the charger or it will get stuck in a crash cycle (can usually replicate this)

- Sometimes after a crash it will crash again after 10 or so seconds on the desktop after putting my password in

- Seems to crash more when plugged into the power adapter

It looks to be something with the CPU as browsing the web, etc is problem free, but if I just wanted to browse the web I would have bought the tiny macbook. This issue is different from the GPU issues that occurred close to release. I haven't had any screen glitches or color flashes.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Nov 17, 2016
    If you haven't already, you should check the Adobe forums, where they track these things pretty closely. (And then switch for FCPX. Haha!)
  3. TylerD554 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2013
    Thanks! Will do.
  4. jerryk macrumors 68030

Nov 3, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Interesting. I am not having any issues with my 2015 rMBP 15". Please keep us updated with you progress. I run the entire CC since I have assets from Photoshop that go into Premier, and then onto After Effects.