MBP 2016 freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by barcode00, May 19, 2018.

1. barcode00 macrumors member

My MBP 2016 13-inch 500GB SSD 8GB RAM, has been freezing and hanging up recently - several times an hour.

I'm inclined to believe this is due to the SSD filling up - I currently have 112.55GB free.

How much should I be keeping free? I does seem a bit annoying to be getting freezing as I wouldn't describe the above as 'critical'.

Thank you.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You have 112GB free space? That is certainly not the problem.

Did this just start happening recently all on its own, or did you maybe install some app or utility that is incompatible and causing this.

Too troubleshoot try rebooting whole holding the shift key. That will start it in safe mode with no third party startup or launch items running. Does that seem to fix it? If it does, then we know one of the startup or launch items you have is causing the problem.

Let us know if safe mode helps then we can tell you what to do next.

3. Nbd1790 macrumors regular

I also have a 2016 MBP that is less than 60 days old and was experiencing the same thing. In general, it's recommended that you keep 10-15% of your hard drive space free for optimal performance, so I don't see that being the issue.

Amongst other issues I ran into in the first 30 days, I had the logic board / hard drive / graphics and screen replaced (freezing, odd sounds, complete graphic freak outs being the reason)

Tried arguing for a new computer but had no success. To me, it seems like you may have gotten a model with similar issues to mine.

Best of luck.

4. MSastre macrumors 6502

MSastre

You can use Etrecheck to get a good report of what is happening on your computer. It is completely safe to use, does no harm and will help get you get rid of problems.

5. jerryk macrumors 601

I the report does not provide answers, take into Apple hand have them take a look at it.

6. barcode00 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the replies, I shall investigate.

Perhaps irrelevant, but I've noticed the MBP does sometimes go black and then awaken locked (no hot corners or anything).

7. leman macrumors G3

Run the apple diagnostics tool, this sounds like hardware failing...