MBP 2016 nTB high frequency fan noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by enbima, Jun 4, 2017.

1. enbima macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

i have a 4 weeks old MacBook Pro 13“ nTB. I have no problems with the device so far but there is one thing which bothers me. When my fan starts to work, there is a high frequency noise noticeable. When the fan is spinning around it creates that very fine but unpleasant noise. I had a MacBook Air before and the noise of the fan was much more pleasant. Maybe this is normal and is a result of the new hardware architecture but I want to make sure that my device is fine.

I have a short recording where you can hear how my MBP sounds under load. Does it sound normal or do you think there is a problem with the fan?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3ROupcyQF_xYVF2NnFNb3BpbGc

best regards

2. Super Xander macrumors regular

Super Xander

I will recommend you to download the Mac Fan Control - program, then test out the fan in low to max speed. They sounds like being on 5000rpm, and if you not are doing heavy tasks at all then it could be software related.

3. enbima thread starter macrumors newbie

The fan and controls run fine, the recording has been done under heavy load. The only thing which bothers me is that it has such a high frequent tone compared to my MacBook Air.

4. Super Xander macrumors regular

Super Xander

Well okay, I have the 13-inch tb model which has two fans. The frequency is pretty high as well on mine at 5000rpm+, My fans reminds of a flying drone. Maybe the air model has an overall bigger fan and therefore a little lower frequency?

5. enbima thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats the reason I wanted to ask the people here about their experiences :). When it's common that the fan makes kind of a high pitch noise when he is spinning than thats fine. Otherwise it would be a problem with my fan.

6. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I haven't noticed anything fan noise with my nTB MBP, what type of programs are you using to make the fan noise?

7. enbima thread starter macrumors newbie

The fan starts when doing video encoding with handbrake.