MBP 2016 Sleep crashes once a week

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aevan, Jun 13, 2017.

1. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

So, my MBP 2016 is working great, however, once a week it crashes during sleep. Reports show various apps and processes crashing it, and it's always a different report. Unresponsive CPU is, if I'm not mistaken, always the cause.

My problem is that this happens rarely, once a week max, sometimes once every two weeks. The real problem is that here, I only have authorized services, not an Apple Store. And judging from my previous experience, even with Apple diagnostics they use, it would take quite some time for them to even determine the problem - if there is one, that is. This could all be just Sierra bugs and instability. If I take it to them, I'll be without my computer possibly for a month (they have max 10-14 days to investigate, then 10-14 days to order replacement parts), but the most likely scenario would be that they would just be unable to find anything wrong.

This is literally the only issue I have with the MBP that otherwise works flawlessly. I was wondering, does anyone have any similar issues. Once again - everything works perfectly for days. Then, somewhere around once every 10 days, during sleep, there's kernel panic and the Mac restarts, then continues to work without issues. Kernel panics happen only during sleep.

I am not even interested in investigating this, I've tried uninstalling certain apps, reinstalling macOS (clean), resetting SMC, PRAM, erasing the sleep image - at this point, I don't even care. As I said, it happens rarely and doesn't really affect my work.

Speaking of care, I have AppleCare, so one day I may decide to change my mind. This is more out of curiosity - anyone has any similar issues?

2. csurfr macrumors 6502a

I bought a 13" MacBook Pro with the touch bar as soon as they were released and it had the exact same problems. Wouldn't wake from sleep, and would crash consistently when attached to the LG UltraFine 4K display. After rounds and rounds of troubleshooting with Apple, I returned the machine.

Fast forward a few months and a couple of MacBook Pro's later, and the problem hasn't show its head. I originally chalked it up to a software problem that was fixed in later versions of 10.12...

Did you get your machine right after release? As you most certainly know, there were a lot of sleep/wake issues right after release.. perhaps it is/was a hardware issue that was worked out, but I haven't seen the sleep/wake thread bumped in a long time. Have you recently wiped your machine and done a clean install of 10.12.5 with internet recovery? I know your fairly knowledgeable from reading your previous posts. Internet Recovery is probably the best step I can think of this time.

3. Queen6, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Can only speak from my experience; I think that you need to manually restart the system every 5-7 days. Upfront I don't own or use a 2016 design MBP, however own and use multiple Mac's employed professionally.

Here's what I observe; when at home and just doing day to day stuff all the Mac's are super stable rarely presenting an issue, however on an engineering project I am lucky if they can make 5 days before issues occur. Likely this is due to the significant throughput being pushed through the system. I absolutely don't have any empirical evidence, just my own observation of being a longterm Mac & OS X user.

Problem being our individual usage will be vastly different, what I can this issue manifests itself across 15", 13" & 12" Retina's with the latter crashing impressively just a couple of days back, totally locked up & locked out. I find this only happens when I push the system hard, I don't mean the CPU, GPU etc. more the file system.

I have spoke to Apple myself and for similar rational and contractual obligation I am not willing to leave the system with Apple loaded with data. What I do observe is that by manually restarting at the 5 day point the issue never occurs. Like is tied to memory management and or the OS.

Maybe this is more related to my workflows, the nature of how I work tends to expose this more as I can be at home for a month or two, equally once on a project can pretty much guarantee if not restarted the Mac's will incur issue.

Hope this helps, as ever just opinion, equally based on real life experience...

Q-6

4. aevan thread starter macrumors 68000

aevan

I got my MBP aproximately one month after release. Yes I am aware of certain wake issues, but I never had any of these more serious crashes. My MBP always wakes from sleep, never crashes during work, etc. The only thing that happens, as I said, is the rare, occasional kernel panic during sleep.

I will probably wait for High Sierra, do a clean reinstall to that and see what happens. Thanks for the input.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2017 ---
    Thanks for the info. Yes, I know that a lot of people have occasional issues with sleep. I never had any with my previous MBP, and I don't have any with my iMac, however, I still think this is some software thing. Not sure.

As I said above, I will wait for High Sierra, do a full clean reinstall and see what happens. The problem is - it happens so rare that I start to think that the issue is solved, and then it restarts during sleep.

Sigh. Well, I can live with it, and if anything more serious arises, I have AppleCare until the end of 2019 :) Thank you, again.

5. jerryk macrumors 68020

An intresting experiment to try while you wait for High Sierra would be to shut it down once a week or so and see if that has any effect.

6. aevan thread starter macrumors 68000

aevan

Heh, I'll try that.

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

To be absolutely honest I just live with it as my workflow is very far from being conventional in Apple' s universe. I do think same it's far more likely to be related to software than hardware.

I am hoping that Apple will put more focus on macOS. Speaking directly since Apple moved to the 12 month cycle to match IOS OS X has become far more unstable and bug ridden...

Very different realms, equally same as you I "expect" the hardware & software solution to deliver irrespective of the provider...

Q-6

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're getting weekly KPs, I'd definitely reach out to Apple and see if their diagnostic tools can uncover an issue. I don't think waiting for high sierra to see if the problem corrects itself.

9. jerryk macrumors 68020

Didn't the combine the MacOS and IOS teams a couple of years ago? If so, I hope they do not have too many developers working on both platforms.

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Yes I belive so as OS X is no longer a driving factor for Apple and it shows. Under load macOS will crash sooner or later. Never thought Windows would offer a more stable environment; is what it is, and simply what I observe...

Q-6

11. jakespeed macrumors member

I was having constant kernel panics (about once a week) with my new MacBook Pro 2016 since December. I even went so far as to return and replace it. Just when I was getting fed up I LUCKED out realized that the panics were always after I had been presenting in various meetings and returned to my desk quickly (while the machine was asleep but probably not hibernated. After that I was able quickly narrow it down and found that Parallels had been set to DirectX 9...switching to Direct10 eliminate it it.

I bet your problem is something similar....some setting in an Adobe or VM perhaps. Something not everyone would have set that way. Once I found my problem my machine has been rock solid or the last 6 weeks or so.

I'm looking forward to High Sierra...we could use a good bug release with very few features.

12. Sterkenburg macrumors member

Happened to me several times during the first few months after buying my 2016 MBP. Same as you, I eventually gave up looking into the cause and just continued using the machine (need it for work everyday, can't afford to send it for repair unless it's something that seriously hampers normal use...). Seems to be a fairly common issue when having external screens or peripherals attached, but it also happened a few times after normally closing the lid.

Can't say for sure whether the issue disappeared or not in the end (could in principle happen again any time) but it started to occur less and less frequently as new Sierra updates were released, which is a good sign. I'm optimistic that High Sierra will eventually iron out all these little bugs and glitches. :)