MBP 2016 Space Grey - Tiny chip between keys

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VonKarma, Dec 2, 2016.

1. VonKarma macrumors newbie

Hi gents,

I have just received my new Macbook pro 2016 15" Space Grey. Everything's fine so far, however I've just noticed a "tiny chip" between the keys 5 and 6, it seems like the powder coating wasn't applied here. Has anyone had similar issues? I am kind of a maniac tyrant and I know it's more psychological than anything but for a laptop that I bought for more than 2500 bucks, I expect perfection...

Thanks for your feedbacks.

[​IMG]

2. EndlessBuffoonery macrumors regular

EndlessBuffoonery

3. VonKarma thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess so, I was just wondering if other people had similar "cosmetic issue" with their brand new laptop.

4. Jaekae macrumors 6502

This is probably one of the craziest 1st world problems i ever seen..

5. Hustle macrumors 6502a

How are people seeing these tiny marks? I haven't even bothered to check mine over in that much details... if I can't immediately see a large chunk taken out of the side, I don't really care if there's a few tiny small marks.

Seriously, it's a laptop. No one is going to even see that tiny mark, and it'll probably have a few more of them after a few weeks of use.

6. VonKarma thread starter macrumors newbie

It's directly noticeable if I take a look at my keyboard. A huge inspection isn't even needed.

7. DMoggo macrumors regular

I think Apple shoot themselves in the foot with the pricing, the higher it goes the nearer perfection people expect which is not necessarily unreasonable.

I would not return for that though if everything else is fine as you may get a bigger issue with the next.

8. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I would return it if it bothers you, but I'm kind of on the side of being concerned that you may get a bigger problem with the next one, providing the one you have is perfect in every other way. I think the odds are good though that this won't happen and you can always return another one if necessary.
    And for the record, a chip on my new computer, no matter how small, would bother me.

9. idark77 macrumors 6502

idark77

10. xazac macrumors newbie

xazac

I have the same "cosmetic feature" on my MBP 15 Space Gray.

11. jerryk macrumors 68030

Glad I was told where to look. I would never have found it otherwise.

12. MarcBou macrumors regular

13. DiscardedPacket macrumors member

It may seem cosmetic to most, and if the laptop was around $400 cheaper, then yes I would say don't worry about it.

But in my mind you should return it out of principle; Apple are making you pay an absolute premium for this device, it should be flawless!!!!

Return it!

14. 1060120 macrumors newbie

:D

15. PrideHeart macrumors newbie

PrideHeart

Return it. $3000 laptop there, if they can charge that much then consumers can expect as much, it better come perfect. Whether or not you damage it yourself later is another issue.

16. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

If it bothers you (and it does if you post about it), then return it.

17. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

I can understand that you would be upset with a less than perfect laptop, especially as Apple emphasizes appearance so much. One concern is that it indicates the coating wasn't properly applied so these chips may occur elsewhere, or this one chip may grow over time. If you don't want to go to the hassle of returning it, maybe you can call Apple, get it on record and see if they'll agree to allow an exchange if the problem grows after the normal return period.

18. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

I have a chip above my rear left USB-C port. I have so many other problems with this machine I want to return it.

19. xmonkey macrumors 6502a