Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
It looks like if I don't keep it charged overnight, it loses battery power so much that on the next day, I have to plug in the power to use the machine. Never seen anything like that among all the Apple laptops I have used (including their headless laptop). Is there something wrong with my MBP or the new ones are just like that?

salivan

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2015
Can you quantify it?
I did the test, and it seems I'm loosing 10% in 12h of standby. I'm going to check again tonight.

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
I have a 13" 2017 MBpro. I can check mine tonight. I always plug it in all night as I do not take a charger to work with me. I also do NOT have power nap checked, put hard disk to sleep when possible (for an SSD!) checked and I have the display turning off at 10 minutes.

The lowest my battery has gotten so far is around 50% from using it periodically during an average 14 hour day.

I will post back my findings.

Lisa

salivan

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2015
I have a 13" 2017 MBpro. I can check mine tonight. I always plug it in all night as I do not take a charger to work with me. I also do NOT have power nap checked, put hard disk to sleep when possible (for an SSD!) checked and I have the display turning off at 10 minutes.

The lowest my battery has gotten so far is around 50% from using it periodically during an average 14 hour day.

I will post back my findings.

Lisa
Hi Lisa, sorry to hijack this topic. But I wanted to compare mine with other mbpr 2017 13s out there.
I don't have anyone using same laptop in 100km radius :)

Have you noticed any of these issues by chance?

- Intermitent popping sound coming from hinge/screen area while in use
- Cold start opening lid weird sounds
- Battery life subpar just using safari, I'm a 1 tab user and I see battery run down by a minute: 1% - 1m.
- Screen colors? Bluish? Compare with store items. Compared to 2014 mbpr it seems off.
- Excessive battery loss when sleeping, 10% ~ 12h
- Video signal glitches when opening lid, different colored blotches of pixels appear, and they settle once its turned On.
- Backcover of the laptop seems to be sitting in a weird way, there is 1mm opening near hinge, and on the sides, as if battery has swollen out.

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
Hi Lisa, sorry to hijack this topic. But I wanted to compare mine with other mbpr 2017 13s out there.
I don't have anyone using same laptop in 100km radius :)

Have you noticed any of these issues by chance?

- Intermitent popping sound coming from hinge/screen area while in use
- Cold start opening lid weird sounds
- Battery life subpar just using safari, I'm a 1 tab user and I see battery run down by a minute: 1% - 1m.
- Screen colors? Bluish? Compare with store items. Compared to 2014 mbpr it seems off.
- Excessive battery loss when sleeping, 10% ~ 12h
- Video signal glitches when opening lid, different colored blotches of pixels appear, and they settle once its turned On.
- Backcover of the laptop seems to be sitting in a weird way, there is 1mm opening near hinge, and on the sides, as if battery has swollen out.

I am replying on my 13" MBPro right now. I have it at work and it has been off it's charger for about 4 hours - although I have been sleeping it frequently as I have two other desktops I am working on too. Battery is at 90%.

- Intermittent popping: No, mine opens and closes smoothly and silently.

- Cold start noises: I watch your video and I have never heard that noise out of mine.

- Battery life: I am in the process of paying attention to my battery life. I admit that as long as I have power and I only have to plug it in at night, I am a happy camper. But I am watching it closely now and will post back my findings.

- Screen colors: I use the screen "dim when on battery" feature. But I pulled up a picture on my Mac pro and on my MBPro to compare. When I changed the screen dimming to off, the picture looked identical in color to the one on my 27" screen on my Mac Pro. So no, I don't see a blue tint. Actually I think my screen look gorgeous.

- Video signal glitch: There has been a lot said on this subject in other posts. At first I did not have the issue. When I updated to 10.13.4 from 10.13.3, I noticed an issue. I will have tiny pink and blue dots for brief second or two after it has been sleeping for an extended period of time - like all night or for several hours. It does not happen when I shut the lid and reopen it a few minutes later. Most of what I have read is that it is a software issue. Since I have not found it that annoying I am not concerned at this time.

- Backcover: Well I examined mine from all angles and all my edges meet flat and flush all around. Can you push down on the area and will it flatten? If it will I would be contacting Apple. I recently took an iPhone 7 into apple for a battery replacement and found out the screen was pushed up so the battery was swollen. It was so subtle I never even noticed. These batteries are so thin and flat that when they swell at first it is not that noticeable. I would have it checked out although that will be tough to do if you do not have an Apple store close by. If it is the battery swelling the problem will escalate.

Hope that helps!

Lisa

Reactions: salivan

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
Update on the battery - I took it off the charger yesterday morning and it has now been 24 hours. I have 55% left. I did not stress it yesterday - light internet/email usage, a few youtube videos. Before I went to bed I did start a Microsoft Office update then shut the lid and while it slept three office apps were updated. It was at 62% when I closed the lid and nine hours later it is at 55%. Considering the update continued in the background I think a 7% reduction in nine hours is acceptable.

Lisa

salivan

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2015
Update on the battery - I took it off the charger yesterday morning and it has now been 24 hours. I have 55% left. I did not stress it yesterday - light internet/email usage, a few youtube videos. Before I went to bed I did start a Microsoft Office update then shut the lid and while it slept three office apps were updated. It was at 62% when I closed the lid and nine hours later it is at 55%. Considering the update continued in the background I think a 7% reduction in nine hours is acceptable.

Lisa
I get about 10% per 12h, we are seeing the same numbers I guess.
My MacBook Pro 2014 version looses 3.5-4.5% in 24h. Just to give a perspective here.

I think something is keeping Mac from sleeping, notice that apple quotes 30 days of standby time. You won't get this if it discharges 10% per 12h.

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
Well this morning I took a look and so far my MBPRo has been off the charger for 48 hours now. I am typing this on it now and it has 6% battery. Last night I shut the lid and it had 11% and when I got up it had 7%. I am pleased with that. As I said the night before I know it downloaded updates for MS Office so I expected higher loss.

I had a 2013 MB Air prior to this model and it had great battery life. I was worried the MB Pro battery would be a disappointment but so far it has been what I expected.

Lisa

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.