Mbp 2017 15" fans run constantly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DRuser, Aug 7, 2017.

1. DRuser macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, just got my MBP 2017 15" and I have to say I'm quite disappointed in terms of noise. The fans are running all the time even at idle, having all apps closed. Running Macs Fan Control tells me I'm on around 2000rpm for both fans. Does this mean the fans are just never stop running on this model even if the temperatures are very low? Or is there something wrong with my hardware?

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

It should be pretty silent at 2000rpm, can you genuinely hear that? Are you in a noise cancelation room or a dog?

Of course the fans are always running, it's a computer with a processor, processor uses energy, energy produces heat, heat must be expelled at a rate faster than it is generated, fans expel excess heat, computer keeps running <- logic!

The temperatures "are very low" because the fans are running... There is nothing wrong with your hardware. Use your computer for whatever purpose your purchased it for and try overcome the what must be grating noise of the fans and do your work.

Enjoy!

3. pejx72, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017

pejx72 macrumors newbie

13 inch TB is the quietest. Fans don't come on at all with basic web-browsing and Office apps.

The 15 inch MPBs and the 13 inch non-TB MBP have more TDP relative to the size of the heatsinks, so the fans are needed much sooner. In the case of the 15 inch TB, all the reviews I have read comment on the fact that the fans *never* switch off. For example, see notebookcheck.net

If you want a relatively quiet MBP, get the 13 inch TB
    If you want a silent MB, get the 12 inch MB

4. Nik macrumors 6502a

5. DRuser thread starter macrumors newbie

That's bad news...the fans also ramp up quite quickly even when the CPU load is just around 20%.

Perhaps there is a similar issue with the attachment of the heat spreader to the CPU as of which current iMac models seem to suffer from. There was also a discussion about fans from different manufacturers that cause significantly different noise levels.

Anyway, thanks for commenting on this!

6. jerryk macrumors 68040

Sounds like it is working as designed. It is best to keep something from getting hot, rather than trying to cool it off because it got hot.