MBP 2017 - is this a GPU hardware issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kaspermoller, Nov 5, 2017.

1. kaspermoller macrumors newbie

kaspermoller

Hi guys.

just received my 2017 15" MBP a few of weeks ago. - have not used it much, and today I was going to watch Netflix for the first time, but the screen came alle messed up every few seconds.

please see the attached picture.

Is this a hardware issue, and should I return the computer for an exchange?

Skærmbillede 2017-11-05 kl. 19.49.17.jpg

2. eugen.hnm macrumors newbie

I changed 4 of them (macbook pro 15" top spec) because the 2016 and 2017 have issues with gpu . My ones was with red screen an time to time freezing. In the end i buyed a 15" 2015 and is good , for the moment. So don't keep this .

3. Greene macrumors regular

Greene

Yep - take it in and show them a picture of this happening. You'll likely get a new motherboard.

My is currently at the apple repair depot for this. If it keeps happening, I might see if I can exchange for a new 13"

4. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

I had this thing once when I went to the desktop.

Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 13.43.44.jpg

Not happened since mind you, put it down to a FileVault issue or something but I was going to ask Apple to look into it when I'm next home. Could be GPU issues but I haven't been able to replicate it bar it occasionally crashing when I plug in a HDMI to the TV (It's a super low resolution TV).

Have you been able to replicate yours or anything?

5. kaspermoller thread starter macrumors newbie

kaspermoller

thanks for your reply.
    I have not been able to replicate- but I bought this because my 2011 MBP 15 failed due to the motherboard issue, and the symptoms was very much like this, so I am sure your are right is hardware issue. I still in my 14days free return period, so will not accept a repair!