MBP 2018 thermal issues and battery drain when shut down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by serra, May 23, 2019.

1. serra, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019

serra macrumors newbie

Hi all,

one month ago i brought my MBP to an Apple store because of some weird issue with the battery. It is a 2018 model, still on warranty.

Sometimes the device was consuming a lot of battery and overheating when completely shut down (I mean, completely) or in sleep mode.
    Several times I turned off my MBP during the afternoon and found it really hot (more than during normal usage) and with 0 battery in the morning.
    It just happened random and when I turn my computer off I’m not able to predict whether it will occur again.

I was especially worried because it did not seem safe.
    A couple of times brought my turned off MBP with me on a plane and found only on landing that during the flight it was still somehow running and became hot.

When I brought my MBP to the Apple Store, it was experiencing the issue, so the Genius bar attendant who saw it was able to certify that something wrong was going on. He told me that it was not normal and he filled in a request for replacing the motherboard.
    However, when I went back to the Apple store to pick up my computer a few days later I have been told that they have not replaced anything since they were not able to reproduce the problem (!)
    They installed Data capture and asked me to send them the archive when the issue happened again.
    During a few weeks I’ve send the data they asked for and I’ve been bringing the device to the store a couple of times.

Yesterday, when I picked up my MBP, Apple support closed the issue and gave me the following feedback:
    • They were not able to reproduce the error and nothing strange emerged from data capture
    • It is a normal MBP 2018 behavior!

They told me that new MBP have been designed so they never really shut down and some process might still run although I turn off the laptop.

I replied that this was absurd:
    • A computer must be able to shut down completely and that it cannot be a normal behavior for a computer to consume all its battery in a few hours and overheating when it is turned off.
    • I told them that this was dangerous and that in Europe I might be denied to fly if I’m bringing a overheating device with me in a plane.
    • The first Genius bar guy saw the computer when it was experiencing the issue and certified that there was a problem. I don’t care if they were not able to reproduce it again later. How many times do you have to reproduce an issue?

They told me that they were sorry but they cannot do anything to help me: this was how 2018 MBP has been designed.

So I’ve filled in a complaint form and left the Apple store with my 3000$ dangerous MBP without any solution from Apple.

I’m really angry and frustrated and I cannot believe the excuse they told me.

So I want to ask you:
    • Did it happen to any of you?
    • It this really a normal MBP behavior?
    • What can I do to have my computer fixed or replaced?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. anpaman macrumors member

That is not normal.

How if you bring it to other apple store ?

3. serra thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answer anpaman.
    I have not tried but I'm afraid it won't work.
    They escalated the issue to the Apple customer service and the answer they gave me comes directly from them.
    I suppose that If I try again they would give me the same answer without even seeing my computer.

4. anpaman macrumors member

You could try posting this issue at apple forum.

https://discussions.apple.com/community/notebooks/macbook_pro

5. leman macrumors G3

What is likely happening is that you have some sort of process that prevents your computer from shutting down. You think it's shut down, but it actually isn't. My bet is on some third-party app or driver that doesn't play by the rules.

Doesn't change the fact that Apple's reply is completely ridiculous. If the machine is off, it's off.

6. serra thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll do, thanks for the suggestion.
    I too believe that some process was still running, but according to Apple, the Capture Data file I sent showed no issue at all, so I don't know what to think.
    Apple's answer seemed to me a stupid stupid way to ignore my problem.

I really can't understand such behavior from Apple. Especially considering that the laptop is new and has no other issue, so I am not trying to cheat to get a new device.

7. anpaman macrumors member

You could try clean install the OS.

After clean install it still problem. It must be hardware issue.

8. serra thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple formatted my MBP so I will see what happens in the next few days.