MBP & 23 Inch Cinema Display Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by whitevisionz, Oct 2, 2009.

1. whitevisionz macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

New to this forum, but have been looking around for a while.

Anyways, I have a newer MBP 13 laptop hooked up with the older 23 inch cinema display using the mini DVI adapter. Also purchased a wire mac keyboard and logitech wireless mouse(blue tooth)

Everything is working great except the USB ports on the keyboard and the Apple Cinema ports on the back.

I'm running out of USB ports because the the mouse requires a blue tooth plug and the keyboard uses a port as well.

For some reason I cannot hook the keyboard usb to the monitor without working as well as the bluetooth connection for the mouse on the back of the monitor.

I've tried also to connect the mouse's bluetooth to the keyboard's USB port located behind the keyboard itself. My problem is the only USBs that are functioning are the ones on the actual laptop. I've tried some searches but couldn't find a solution.

I would dearly appreciate the help since I'm a recent convert from the PC side!

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

That's odd. So the ports on the back of your display don't work at all? They should. First lets see if thats the issue.

Plug in the USB connector (obviously!) then go to :apple: > (hold option) System Profiler > Hardware > USB

then under the USB Device Tree look for:
    USB High-Speed Bus > Hub and under that it should say Apple Cinema Display.

The Hub of course drives the hub in the back while the actual Apple Cinema Display is its own device which drives the monitors advanced functions like changing the parameters of the power button and brightness controls.

So if the hub or the display isn't showing up then the display itself may have issues. If it is then I'm not sure.

3. whitevisionz thread starter macrumors newbie

found out what was wrong

:(

I seemed that I installed the cinema display incorrectly.

The monitor has three wires
    1) DVI (in this case the mini dvi)
    2) USB
    3) Firewire

I originally hooked up the USB wire to the back of the monitor as opposed to the MBP itself.

Now everything works, and made sense. I'm not use to having a monitor having a power adapter, dvi, usb wire and 400 firewire.

Much thanks for the info though, I tried that option button you suggested to reach the systems profiler. Didn't even know I could do that...