MBP 24/7 running in closed mode?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrklaw, Jul 12, 2011.

1. mrklaw macrumors 65816

Anyone use their MBP and leave it running 24/7 closed - kind of as a desktop?

looking to replace a mac mini, so it'd need to sit under the TV in the lounge as a plex front end and server. Then I'd either sleep it when not in use or pull it out for use as a laptop.

Would this have any issues in terms of noise/temperature/life expectancy? when idling will it sit quietly in closed mode?

2. nnoob macrumors member

It might throttle the cpu because of closed mode reduces the air vents.
    I experienced low FPS on games using closed mode

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You'll be fine. Contrary to some ^^ claims the air intake is through the back vents, from the bottom slit. Avoid particularly dubious claims that the vents are "90%" closed or that you'll see "80%" drop in framerates ;)

If you run your hand along the back of the 13" during a high I/O operation while in clamshell mode (about center of the unit) you will feel the hot air blowing out. The (cool air) intake is directly adjacent to that due to the size of the fans.

Attached Files:

4. nnoob macrumors member

explain this then? http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1129868

5. Philflow macrumors 65816

I'm guessing that's a poorly ventilated spot?

Closing the MBP minimizes the surface available for airflow and cooling.

Putting it in a poorly ventilated spot makes it worse.

Then again if you don't stress CPU or GPU it may be just fine. Monitor your temps and you'll know.

6. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 65816

It'd be on a wooden shelf with lots of space behind and around for airflow. Plus for plex it should be GPU accelerated so hardly any CPU usage.

any way to log fan speeds/temps to a file for later review?

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

8. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 65816

how do you wake it up if you don't have a bluetooth mouse/keyboard? I don't mind waking it up with an apple remote (or my harmony), or an ipad/iphone app..

9. Deedolito macrumors regular

Deedolito

If you use your Apple Remote Control, your MBP will say "Hey Jo - what's up!". Works fine for waking it & put to sleep also.

10. blackbinary macrumors member

On the topic of heat throttling;

Yes most of the ventilation is through the back, and it will be ventilated no matter if the lid is closed or open. The main difference is in the open scenario the chassis can heat up, and can be cooled off because the top area near the speaker and above the keyboard are opened to air. When you close the lid, the lid is now blocking any air from cooling off the top of the chassis, causing it to dissipate the heat less efficiently.

This may matter, and this may not. If your in a hot environment already, then yes it will probably have an effect. If your really making the computer work hard (particularly for a long duration) you might have problems.

In your case, using it as a front-end for plex, I don't think you'll have many problems. When sleeping you'll have no issues, it will just be with movies. If your viewing a 1080p movie, even then i don't think the GPU is working very hard to render that.

Now if your watching movies all day, and the room is hot to begin with, then I would suggest you get the iStat Pro widget for your dashboard and just bring that up and see what the temps are like.

Or if you plan to play games on it for more than an hour, do the same thing.

If you see the temps are high (over 40 Celsius for the chassis) then you'll want to find a way to open the lid, or try not to use it quite as much.

It's pretty ridiculous these claims of never running it clamshell because of heat issues, when it's a very environment-dependent situation. It will be different for everyone.

11. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Well I have not run my MBP closed 24/7 exactly but I have run it for 3 days straight closed using insomnia with both the built in display and a 720p TV running while torrenting and having handbrake run a massive quota of converting with quite a bit of heat but nothing out of the ordinary. One thing I have though is in my room where it does this I have my window air conditioner running on high. The MBP does not go above 170 degrees (CPU) like this :D:D:D:apple::apple: Alternatively if Im running it Ill put a tiny plug in fan right by the hinge/vent and that will keep the temp down too. BTW I use iStat pro...very useful and important if you run your computer hard.

12. Alexjones macrumors 6502

I ran my 2010 MBP in clamshell mode and it ran great. I closed the lid, moved the mouse and 10 seconds later, this beautiful image filled my 46" Samsung. No issues. Im actually buying a second MBP to replace my home PC. I use the Rocketfish HDMI adaptor

13. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I always have my macbook aluminum in clamshell mode, and I keep it in the twelvesouth arc holder (google it). This allow the airflow to be optimal and is stylish to boot. No problems whatsoever and my computer has worked great in that mode for coming on 3 years now!

14. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Word for word my exact same situation! Except I have 46" Toshiba.

15. DKTacts macrumors member

I'll reset/turn off my macbook pro once, maybe twice a week? Usually like you said I just have it on sleep mode and then come to it whenever I need to. It's pretty much just a desktop for me too. Not problems here - had it for a year now.