MBP 2nd HD... Warranty voided?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tharris0101, Oct 26, 2010.

1. tharris0101 macrumors member

I've seen a few places where people have removed the optical drive and used a kit to add a second hard drive. I'd totally do this on my new MBP that is currently being shipped, but I'm worried about voiding the warranty (And throwing away my AppleCare money). Does anyone know if this is "legal"?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The optical drive is not considered by Apple to be a user-replaceable item. Therefore, replacing it could void your warranty. Some have done it successfully with no issues, but there are no guarantees.

3. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

It's not illegal since you are not breaking any laws, just your warranty agreement with Apple. You can always put the SuperDrive back in before any warranty claims, they really will not be able to tell if you are using the expansion bay.

4. the-ep macrumors member

IIRC it voids your warranty as an unauthorized modification (Apple only supports upgrades to RAM and the original HDD).

But the Applecare doesn't have to go to waste. Should a problem occur, just replace the Optibay with the original Superdrive and it should be considered okay by Apple (provided that the HDDs were not in a RAID-0 array, which makes things a bit more difficult). Once the MBP's serviced, put the Optibay back in.

5. tharris0101 thread starter macrumors member

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Nope.