MBP 3,1 battery replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobreborn, Dec 23, 2015.

1. bobreborn macrumors member

2. Willo34 macrumors regular

Willo34

It's all about the quality. For 12 dollars it may work, but I would suggest this type of cheap battery will blow up (as in swell up) and has a very low loading cycle. That is the trick, the battery has to have a lot of cycle's or it will just stop working very soon. My advice, try and get an LMP battery, unlimited loading cycle's and just as good as original Apple batteries.

3. bobreborn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice! Is LMP a company? I'm unfamiliar with the acronym.

4. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

You're better off spending the extra money and getting a new battery from OWC (Other World Computing), they have been in the Mac business for years and are a reliable company.

Using System Profiler check to be sure your MacBook Pro really is a MacBookPro3,1 and get this battery:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple_laptop/batteries/MacBook_Pro_15

Double check and check again. Look at the pictures to make sure it is the right model and battery.

5. bobreborn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I think I bought an OWC when I first got it (used) because the battery had died. Was hoping I didn't have to spend another 90 on a new one again =/ C'est la vie

6. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

Seven years sounds like a reasonable life time for a battery. If it lasted that long with no issues then of course OWC is the best choice. :)

7. Willo34 macrumors regular

Willo34