mbp =3yr old looking for new so MB or MBP!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dj jammie, Dec 30, 2009.

  1. dj jammie macrumors newbie

    dj jammie

    Dec 30, 2009
    ok i have currently a MBP,

    C2D 2.16 Ghz
    2 GB RAM
    120 GB Hard Drive
    GeForce 8600M GT
    Glossy Screen etc

    runs fine, i use it to DJ, FCS, Adobe suite (media Student) and everything seems to run fine also major WOW player.

    I know this machine is like 3 years old now so things have changed so im looking to change this machine for a better one as the battery is going on this one and the screen is slowly dying!

    Looked at the direct MBP 15" upgrade swap = 2.53GHZ £1.299 but this is no longer needed to be this powerful as i have a iMac 24" Alu.

    so im looking at the MB and the 13" MBP now which is going to be better to buy?

    ...so far the MB is looking nice as it has the 250GB (the white i kind of like)

    Now is it worth getting the MBP for the simple fact the screen better (as the glossy one on this MBP is going to be the same as the current MB has and this screen aint bad at all!)

    i have no need for the SD card reader as i dnt use SD's having a iPhone etc!

    They both share the same Graphics card also the 15" standard MBP has the 9400M in it how much better is this card than the one in this MBP 8600M GT?

    or im i downgrading a 3yr old machine for a new one? im a little confussed what to do.

    Every Little Helps...thanks
  2. zhenya macrumors 603


    Jan 6, 2005
    Unless you absolutely need a new computer right now, you should wait. The current line of MBP's are not significantly faster than what you have now. The current processor line is nearing end-of-life, and presumably the MBP's should be updated early 2010.
  3. fpar macrumors regular

    Feb 11, 2008
    I agree with zhenya, I went from a 2.16 C2D X1600 to a 2.66 uMBP. I noticed almost no change in performance on everyday tasks, agreed games are much better. Since you have a 8600m there wont really be any benefit of an upgrade.
  4. Gumbercules macrumors member

    Jul 16, 2009
    I'd just grab a whitebook if it isn't going to be your primary computer. The unibody upgrade included a major screen upgrade which although not quite as good as that of the pro, really isn't a bad screen at all!
  5. psingh01 macrumors 65816

    Apr 19, 2004
  6. spatlese44 macrumors 6502

    Dec 13, 2007
    I'd say get a new battery and some ram and keep what you have. 2GB doesn't cut it these days. That and a newer hard drive (higher density on newer drives = faster), you would see a significant speed boost.

    What's this about the screen dying? I'm assuming you would sell what you have, but damaged laptops have limited value. The 13" screen sounds like a downgrade to me, although depends on your use.
  7. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

    Dec 18, 2009
    wait wait wait[​IMG] everyone thinks there will be new macbook pros out in january, i know a month feels like a long time when you want something but wait, it'll be worth it
  8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604


    Dec 29, 2006
    dallas, texas
    Search and you shall find that you should wait. If you must buy now, which doesn't seem to be the case, I'm sure we could give some advice given a budget - but the rumored machines make the analysis worthless if you can wait.
  9. zer0tails macrumors 65816


    Mar 23, 2008
    get the new macbook! It's classic Apple white, it has the unibody construction now and LED backlit screen.

Share This Page