MBP 4,1 2008 with SSD Upgrade and Mountain Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pazcal, Jul 14, 2012.

1. pazcal macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I've had my MacbookPro 4,1 for the past four years and would now like to install a completely new system. I only have a few personal files on my computer and don't require any data migration. Nor are there any programs that I would like to keep.

With the new system I would like to both upgrade to a 128 or 256 GB SSD and wait for Mountain Lion later this month. Basically, I would like to take out the HD, put in a SSD and start anew with Mountain Lion. (A friend will do the exchange, I have no idea.. :p)

I'm simply wondering how after putting in the SSD the new Mountain Lion system is installed..? My DVD drive doesn't work anymore (and I never use it anyways), so could I somehow attach an USB SuperDrive and take things from there?

Or what is the best way to set up a fresh system?

Thank you very much!

2. 01mggt macrumors 6502

If you already have a USB superdrive, just burn a bootable disc from the ML app when you download form the app store. There will be an option when you boot it to use disk utility to format and partition your new SSD. If you have issues formatting or anything try a simple PRAM reset. Fixed my issues before :) (cmd+option+P+R for pram reset while booting)

3. pazcal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this suggestion, that's good to know!

Would I be able to use my USB SuperDrive at the very first boot after installing the SSD? Is there any issue with drivers or so?

4. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

I don't think you can boot from a CD in an external drive. My suggestion would be to get a cheap 8 gig usb stick, burn the installer dmg to it and then replace your HDD with the sad. Then plug the USB drive in and then boot from it. You can do that by pressing the option key. You will then be able to install ML on the SSD. You may need to reformat the drive and the installer *does* come with disk utility to do the formatting.
    A guide to creating a bootable ML drive is here.