[MBP 4.1] Expresscard GFX for 1600x1200 display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cjoy, Nov 18, 2010.

1. cjoy macrumors member

Oct 24, 2008
    I'm looking for a decent supplement graphics card that allows me to hook a second external monitor (cintiq 21UX @ 1600x1200) to my 2008 MacbookPro 4.1 (Penryn).
    Ideally, I'd like to use the expresscard slot for this purpose. I've tested a low cost USB device already, but it's refresh lag is too bad.

That said, I certainly dont need it for gaming. Just the usual office and design suites.

Any hints/advice are very much appreciated. :)
  2. Anonymous Freak, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Dec 12, 2002
    Try a Matrox DualHead2Go, it uses your existing graphics chip and video output. It basically appears to your computer as one double-wide monitor and outputs that to two physical monitors. (They even make a triple-head version, and versions that are natively DisplayPort, so you can use two Apple displays.)
  3. cjoy thread starter macrumors member

Oct 24, 2008

thank you for the advice.
    the device you mentioned doesn't work since my primary display has a very high resolution (2560x1440) that requires both lanes of the mbp's DVI-port.
    also, having both displays recognized by OS X as individual screens is a must, as I use my main in 90° rotation at times.

I've also come across VillageTronic VTBook (Expresscard) that would support the resolution needed, but the specs read 65°C as the maximum notebook temperature... I know CPU temps are a lot higher than the temps to be expected in the expresscard slot - but with regular spikes to 90°C when under load, a 65°C cap seems too much of a risk.

there are also magma PCI-E enclosures with an Expresscard connector that could do the job - but 750$ + the cost for a compatible PCI-E gfx card is far too expensive.

...so, still looking.
    if anyone has an idea - I'd be most happy to hear about it :)