MBP 4.1 SSD Selection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JHZR2, Dec 10, 2011.

1. JHZR2 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Im considering upgrading the OE 200GB 7200 RPM HDD in my Macbook Pro 4.1 (2008). It is a 4GB, 2.6 GHz C2D setup. Ive read the guide, read a LOT on TRIM and other things. I realize that this is only a 1.5 Gb/s SATA setup, but I feel that the other benefits really are good.

Im running 10.5.8, and because I have a setup with a dual boot NTFS partition, boot camp, parallels, etc., Id prefer to go with an install based upon imaging the partitions to be functionally the same.

My top choice right now is the Samsung 830 in 256GB size. I figure in the future if I replace MBPs, I can always re-use this drive and put the old HDD back into this MBP if the computer is still functional. While I saw the recommendation for intel 320 drives, the price point compared to the 510 and the 830 doesnt seem attractive (particularly because I want 250 and so Id have to buy a 30GB model 320, vs a 250GB 830 or 510).

So, with all that, any reasons not to select that drive? It seems like trim isnt really that critical of a thing, and the drives are better at garbage cleanup. Most of the files Id write are <=10MB.

Thanks!

2. JT123 macrumors member

I'd be going Vertex 2 or Samsung 470, Intel are too expensive for what you get. Sandforce have excellent garbage collection so not having trim should be too much of an issue with them.

Also Have a look at the M4s. There is no point looking at the 830 as you are paying a premium for speed you can't use (the 830 is the same drive with a newer interface SATA3) so essentially you are just paying for the newer interface that you can't use anyway.

3. JHZR2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Believe it or not, at Amazon, the 470 is more expensive than the 830 in 256GB size!

Amazon and newegg have the same price on the 830 256GB. Newegg has the 470 model cheaper than amazon, but Newegg wont have them in stock until June 2012!

4. JT123 macrumors member

That's right I do remember seeing a video about them on youtube at CES 2011 and the guy said they were looking at pricing them below the 470's. I don't know how they don't drop the price of the 470's now that a better model is out.

Anyway- there's no point getting the 470's if they're more expensive.

5. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

Since older SSD's are (unfortunately) not necessarily cheaper, I'd just look at which SSD is the cheapest to buy since you're speed limited anyway. That's probably the ADATA S501 V2. ADATA has always been reliable as far as I can tell, and the read/write speed is high enough to surpass your SATA II maximum.

6. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I recommend the Crucial M4. I own one already in my macbook 2,1, which is also sata I. works flawlessly, no trim enabled. stable as hell. and faster than advertised.

I ordered a brand new macbook pro yesterday, and bought another M4 for it. I just cant stand using computers without SSD's anymore. all of my computers have them now.

7. nippyjun macrumors 65816

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I thin your logic is sound and the 830 is the way to go. That way if you get a new Macbook in the next year or so you already have a SATA III drive.

9. JHZR2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I read the guide per my OP.