MBP 5,3 - Mavericks, Boot Camp and Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by milomak, Aug 12, 2014.

1. milomak macrumors member

i am at my wits ends here. i have my win7 dvd that works on my windows machine. yet my macbook pro (mid 2009 - 15") does not recognise it. the disk is recognised on another windows laptop i have.

the mbp recognises many other discs. both burnt and commercial disks.

could it be the fact that bootcamp 4.xxxx is recommended for this mbp yet 5.xxx is running?

is it possible to downgrade the installed version of bootcamp? i've seen many threads that merely give a download of the drivers.

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

You want the most up to date drivers that you can get. If you use the bootcamp utility in OSX, you can download the newest drivers customized for your machine.

3. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

Why not download a version of Windows 7 for use on a bootable USB or something like that? The important bit is the serial key.

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

The OP's laptop doesn't support booting from USB (i think).

5. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

Ah.

Ignore me, I don't know much about Macs, just trying to provide possible solutions :p

6. milomak thread starter macrumors member

there is a win7 issue here:

download xp sp3 black iso. can see in desktop. and reboot and c starts the windows install

use my bought win 8.1 iso. seen in desktop and c boots it.

since saturday i used my win 7 bought and probably 4 downloaded isos. none of them recognised in desktop. each disc spit out. yet each disc works on 2 separate windows machines.

it seems that my mbp and osx versions have crossed a version that requires apple to answer - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Not sure...maybe your DVD drive is dying? I have a 2010 MBP, and I was able to install Vista and Windows 7. Can you even load the installer, or does it not even get that far?

8. milomak thread starter macrumors member

it seems to be exclusively related to win7 isos. i downloaded xp and win8 isos to check and it could burn them. and boot from them. yet win7 - nothing.