MBP 5,4 with Samsung 830 problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sebhoff, Jun 24, 2012.

1. sebhoff, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012

sebhoff macrumors newbie

Hi forum,
    I've just installed my new Samsung 830 in my MBP (15", mid-2009, 4GB RAM). I also have a 1TB Western Digital drive instead of the optical drive (with the help of a data doubler).
    I'm now experiencing some problems.
    Initially, I was not able to install Lion from an external disk because there was no recovery partition. Ultimately, I only solved this problem when I took the disk out of the MBP again and connected it via an external case - I was able to clone the recovery partition from another disk. I then also installed Lion (i.e. while it was still connected as external drive). After re-installing the SSD in the MBP again, things initially seemed to work. But soon I saw the spinning wheel while opening applications and some other things didn't work as they should.
    I then restarted from the other internal drive (the 1TB WD) and thought I could erase the SSD again and reinstall Lion - now that the recovery partition was there. But: now I can't erase the disk anymore: Disk Utility reports an error and says "Couldn’t unmount disk".
    Any suggestions what might be wrong? I'm about to swap the SSD and the WD to see whether it is a problem with the HD cable - but I suspect it's something else.
    Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer!
    Sebastian

2. sebhoff thread starter macrumors newbie

Mhm - almost 500 views but nobody seems to have a helpful suggestion... I guess I'll try to contact Samsung today.
    Sebastian

3. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Must be a conflict with your second drive.

The Samsung's are the one of the best in the industry.